A challenge for old house lovers

Speak for yourself. I thought that you said that Milton Keynes has integrated countryside.

Oh no. There are many more choices than that and some excellent and different beers in all types - actually a broader range than the UK.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Actually I do, but wouldn't use a TV show like this as a source of information.

I simply sought to clarify.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

It also seems to be quite popular to build a large house with three floors, with the top floor having a separate entrance and then letting that out at certain times when the family doesn't need the space but needs the income. I know several people who have done that.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

That is irrelevant. the situations is that they have basements and we do not.

Some truth in that.

They also drop litter etc, as they have no firm roots in the area.

If you read the post on land I posted you would have seen that 80% of that figure is mortgages. People attempting to put a very small roof over their heads.

Which is actually 50% and ownership rising.

Reply to
IMM

I don't like in MK, and I was speak generally, which anyone with brains could see.

Nonsense! I have spend lots of time Germany. Its large, larger and Weiss beer.

Reply to
IMM

You don't.

Reply to
IMM

You are fickle. Must be an effect of the tutu. Last week, MK was the best place on earth.

Well no. There are numerous types of each, hundreds more local breweries and each with their own distinctive beers. There are dark beers, extra malted beers, Christmas beers......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

No, well, it's not mandatory to get one's hands dirty! But the owner does have a very great influence on what goes into the property. I can remember driving with my late sister around neighbouring villages as she sought exactly the right shade of brick she wanted. She also specified windows, tiles, and much more. They had a pine staircase built from scratch by a carpenter. My sister's task was keeping on at the builders the whole time to make sure they didn't skive off! But the house is a gem, as are *all* the other German houses I've been in. As this method of building domestic dwellings is commonplace in Germany, the whole country is geared to it. One is now seeing ready-built estates like in Britain, but I haven't been to see any of those, so I don't know what the quality is like. However, knowing the Germans' insistence on quality and durability, those ready-made houses will be probably just as good as self-build, and far better than the new build standard in GB. However, in GB we *can* build fantastic properties! Near me they have just finished a fabuous house. It must have seven or eight bedrooms, three garages. It is enormous, and the price is around £2 million, I believe. These kinds of houses we can build very well indeed. It's the cheapo Persimmons, Barratts and Bryants that I find so horrid (since I started investigating and once contemplated new build).

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

It was exactly this type of property in which I rented my flat when I lived near Frankfurt! The landlord and his wife had built the property, a very nice one, but were skint afterwards. However, they knew beforehand that they'd be skint afterward, and thus built a one bedroom flat in the roof. It was very nice, with Velux windows and a balcony. Lots of real wood lining the sloping ceilings and suchlike.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

"Andy Hall" wrote | >> Oh no. There are many more choices than that and some excellent | >> and different beers in all types - actually a broader range than | >> the UK. | >Nonsense! I have spend lots of time Germany. Its large, larger and | >Weiss beer. | Well no. There are numerous types of each, hundreds more local | breweries and each with their own distinctive beers. There are | dark beers, extra malted beers, Christmas beers......

... smoked cheese beers ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Japan and "big house". Not words one normally sees in the same sentence :-)

In fact a one bedroom Tokyo flat (children sleep in dining area) costs in excess of £500,000 !!

Reply to
G&M

Sorry but I find it a real pain that shops aren't open when *I* want them to be. Seriously 24/7 is what we should be aiming for in a service driven economy like ours. Some places like the Trafford Centre in Manchester are edging there but it's slow progress.

Reply to
G&M

Which is why Germany can't compete with the Far East and USA. In my industry (semiconductors) very long hours but with high rewards are expected. Nobody has to join that industry of course, and most electronic engineers don't, but those that do would like there to be some shops open when they get out.

Sunday IS shopping day.

You mean bankrupt ?? Europe has to compete in a global economy. That means hard work !!!!!!

Reply to
G&M

Particularly in Germany.

You mean like Audi and Volkswagen, now the most unreliable European cars you can buy?

Reply to
Peter Parry

Nah, that small Mercedes is the worst.

Reply to
G&M

But not Sunday, you can't hang you washing out either, or clean the windows, or wash the car.

Indeed, in fact if you don't mow your lawn or tidy the front of your house (but not on Sundays) your neighbours can (and frequently do) report you to the police.

They have a choice?

Indeed.

There is no greater insult you can give to someone from the Netherlands than to say they are like the Germans.

Errr - Yes. Ever been in Bavaria, or Monchengladbach, or Berlin?

Indeed mein Fuhrer.

Has history taught you nothing?

Reply to
Peter Parry

True, I had forgotten about that one.

Reply to
Peter Parry

The A class or the Smart?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I had a go in a Smart a few months ago and have to say it was a pretty nice car. The most impressive thing was that I could actually fit in it which I wasn't expecting given that I'm a tad above average height. It was a bit like driving a dodgem but for city use quite impressive. The thing that really sold it was parking at 90 deg to two BMW's in the gap they had left between themselves to get out.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I've seen them put to quite interesting uses. They seem to have become popular in France as a vehicle for field service engineers for example.

I bet that you had great joy in parking between the two Beemers. Probably not something to do in Paris though.