[A bit OT] Killing Rats

I've already done the hand-cranked repeater

Andy Dingley

Works fine, but it's hard to find a full clip of ferrets that are accurately matched for calibre.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

410, silenced pref, rather than 12, though rolling your own means you can size the shot to suit and the charge for less velocity, cheaper too!

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

But where do you apply the spunk?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Use rats instead?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Huge" wrote | >Probably took less explaining than when I shot a central | >heating radiator with a home made "cannon" that used | >steel ball bearings and 6mm hilti cartridges. The | > things teenagers get up to Ehh?

Eeh, when Ah were a lad we were too poor for hilti cartridges, we used to catch t'neighbour's dachshund, feed it baked beans for a week then set fire to its farts.

| Except I was in my thirties when I did that ...

Young at heart or late developer?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Mary Fisher" wrote | "Bill" wrote | >>Remind me to tell you about the time I shot my car with a crossbow. | Tell us about the time you shot your car with a crossbow. | Please. | And why. | And if you killed it or just winged it.

If he killed it, does that mean he bumpered it off?

I expect we'll get tyred of this thread soon and give it the boot.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Hi,

Does the shed have a wooden floor over bare earth, which is giving cover to the the burrows entrances? If so and it's fairly small it could be worthwhile to jack it up and lay 1/2" chicken wire underneath.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Everyone seems to be steering clear of it now ... no drive in them at this time of night.

Mary going to get my gear off and lay up for the night.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I hope so. I'm exhausted already.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On 20 Feb 2005, Bob Eager wrote

You're -- bored?

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Last year we had a 'bit of a rodent problem' and the blue pellet stuff from the garden centre didn't seem to have much effect. A work colleague's 'partner' is a farm worker and he gave me some "Slaymor Bait Bag"s with suitable cautions as to their correct deployment. I left two, unopened, in places that I could see were being used as regular routes and within a couple of days they were both half-consumed. A few days later, they were still half-consumed. Never saw any further evidence of ratty and his friends. The Slaymor bags are not available for retail purchase - to buy them you must be a Local Authority, a professional operator providing pest control services, or a person occupying agricultural, horticultural, industrial or commercial premises. They definitely seem to do the trick though ...

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mary Fisher" saying something like:

Nods.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It's all in his head.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On 21 Feb 2005, Mary Fisher wrote

As long as you don't start going on about his big end, we'll be OK...

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Probably took less explaining than when I shot a central heating

Thats sad. That you are saner and safer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I didn't know you could silence a shotgun...is that for real?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Now you're just being cranky.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You can't "put a silencer onto one", but you can build one with a silenced barrel. Doesn't work that well for 12s, but .410s have long been done this way for either poaching or pest control.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On 21 Feb 2005, Mary Fisher wrote

And my timing is all off.