[A bit OT] Killing Rats

Scented soap. They have even been known to swim round the U bend of a toilet to get to it in a bathroom if they smell it after you have enptied the bath.

Calais. They don't seem to have this sense of 'fairness' towards vermin that Blair and co have.

Are you sure the tunnels don't lead under your house ? If not just pour petrol down and light.

They're faster than you are.

Put them down the tunnels to protect the rats then burn the lot of them.

Reply to
Mike

Are you quite sure they're rats, and not Siberian filigree hamsters?

Reply to
Hugh

Hunting with dogs is now illegal.

Reply to
Steve Firth

But do they shoot sideways; Ha ha!!

Reply to
Gel

FOLLOW UP

Thanks for all the advice.

  • Yesterday I acquired a bucket of Neosorexa rat bait, when I got back I noticed for the first time that the bait IS being taken...so we are now making progress.

Also on the way back I picked up a .22 Air Rifle (non-Chinese). I do hope there's the opportunity to get Shredder before the bait gets him. [This is personal]

  • Gassing experiment never occurred due to hose length limitations.
  • Longbow/crossbow approach sounds interesting.
  • I'd rather saw my leg off than keep a dog of any kind (personal aversion).
  • I am reserving available petrol for mowing the lawn later (it's surprisingly dry here).
  • What about ferret assisted assassination? Are they too large to flush out rats?

David

Reply to
Vortex

Is it?

Reply to
shaun

Nah, but allowing your pack of hounds to kill a fox is!

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

Hunting for rats is exempt.

Reply to
Howard Neil

Only if you enjoy it it seems ... :-(

If your dog gets the rats without your encouragement it can't really be called hunting.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What scent do you prefer, Mike?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Pitting your wits against a rat are you :-)

So would I ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Might make a goood bait?

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Only more than two.

Otherwise when Ms Hunt Sab takes her doggywoggy for a walk, and it kills a myxy rabbit, she might get done as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Try the Jack Russell. If they eat it, they were the dwarf hamsters.

Friends of mine keep all manner of rodents, including a pair of Glaswegian dwarf hamsters. They're the size of voles, smaller than mice, and pure evil. One ate most of the face off the other and is now called "Hanibal".

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Not for rats.

...or it seems for foxes. 91 killed foxes yesterday - that's a third of the hunts making a kill.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"John" wrote | This is England and our traditional weapon is the longbow. | Everyone should practice for four hours a day and have | overdeveloped right arm muscles

Four hours a day longbow practice /and/ usenet? I'd never sleep!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On 20 Feb 2005, Owain wrote

You could fire an arrow into the monitor...that'd work.. ;)

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Remind me to tell you about the time I shot my car with a crossbow.

Reply to
Huge

Arrows aren't fired.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Probably took less explaining than when I shot a central heating radiator with a home made "cannon" that used steel ball bearings and 6mm hilti cartridges. The things teenagers get up to Ehh? I'm now 40+ something and hopefully somewhat saner and safer. ????????????

Reply to
Bill