You're trying to cap me!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On 21 Feb 2005, Mary Fisher wrote

Nah, I'm just winging it, really....

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

That was a multi point turn to get back to where we began!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On 21 Feb 2005, Mary Fisher wrote

I'll park it at that point, then.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Really? I've been pndering on getting a licence for a 410 and getting one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I missed the apple tree.

The perils of alcohol, ma'am.

Just winged it.

Reply to
Huge

Like the ad says; "Grow up? Why?"

Reply to
Huge

Sort of Willem Shtumm this one, isn't it?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Sort of. I was drunk. It was dark. These things happen.

Got a new window from the scrapper. All turned out OK in the end.

Reply to
Huge

Only a single barrel/single shot though, you can get an add-on for a

410, but I'm not sure how they licence those, for a firearm it has to be a fixed integral part of the barrel, or listed as a detachable silencer on the certificate. Hummm .22 dust shot carts, now theres a thought!

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

"Growing old is compulsory ,growing up is optional" is a quote I gathered from somewhere , and have been known to use when faced with raised eyebrows occasionally.

Back to the Rat guns . When I still lived in an environment where shotguns were as much an everyday tool as a hammer someone had a small shotgun that was smaller than a 410. He specifically called it a rat gun. Cartridges were from a 30 year memory metal cased. 9 or 10mm? Neat little thing it was. Can you still get those on a shotgun licence?

G.harman

Reply to
g.harman

.410 is the smallest "shot gun" (it's a 67 gauge, BTW)

There are shot shells loaded for larger pistol calibres, particularly for the more rustic bits of the USA, against snakes. It may have been one of them.

It's quite possibly an illegal (i.e. cat 5) weapon these days, unless it can qualify as an antique in an obsolete calibre. Many such devices are too short to be legally shotguns, even if they're smoothbores.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

IIRC it would be a three-bore. I don't know if they are still around.

Reply to
John

I thought a punt gun was the biggest you could use on a shotgun licence, about 4 bore IIRC.

30bore would be something like a .22 rimfire loaded with shot, probably quite cost effective compared with a shotgun cartridge.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Upto 2" on shotgun, over 2" FAC.

I think he was remembering the old 9mm garden guns though, I've seen one or two, but ammo would be difficult, though one Italian company does still make it IIRC.

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

Yes - unrifled punt guns and wall guns are still licensable (sic) as shotguns. Sadly Chieftain tanks no longer are, after a rule change a few years ago.

28 bore is .550 (coincidentally the same calibre as a Boyes anti-tank rifle, which is why I remember it). The "bore" number goes with the _cube_ of the diameter, so they soon become enormous. About "400 bore" for a .22 ?
Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've just had a look and max is 2" diameter. which must be a 2 pounder!

Yes I was guessing. It's the number of balls of that bore that can be made from a lb of lead IIRC.

a .410 is 67bore so the .22 would be about 436 bore!

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Gerra dog!