[A bit OT] Killing Rats

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 11:01:17 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)" squeezed out the following:

Beat me to it.

Reply to
Colin Irvine

Dear group. I have an infestation of Jack Russels. Any advice on how to shift the annoying little yappers ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Why on earth would you need an FAC ? They're only rats, not ankylosaurus, and semi-domestic rats will let you get close enough that range isn't an issue. A cheap CO2 or spring air pistol will do fine - you don't need an FAC-grade air rifle, or a rimfire .22

I also doubt if you'll get a .22 rifle ticket these days unless you're either very rustic, already known as a shooter, or join a target club as well. New applications "for vermin control" are getting very short shrift.

Cheapest option is probably a nasty .22 spring air rifle. But a slightly better option might be a CO2 pistol with a decent sight and a carbine stock. There are a few "rat killer" kits around offering this. Provided the range is low and you can provide some simple rest for it, ratting inside a barn or a small space will probably be easier for you with a reasonable pistol than a long rifle.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Effective, if scary, I inevitably ended up with a headache on cymag days, opposite of a placebo maybe.

I always reckon that if you see a rat you have hundreds, I've never thought shooting muck of a control of rats, pigeons, rabbits or squirrels, they all migrate and range over large distances. My elderly FIL uses an self loading air rifle, recharges from a diver's air bottle, and it is effective at killing. I infer from your previous comment that the exemption for air weapons with muzzle energy

Reply to
sylva

Overfeed them on rats...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Excatly what I did to rid my parents place of rats.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Reply to
Huge

I had a link to chinese air rifles for just £23.50 but can't find it but a quick google threw up the following offers.

.22

£35

.22

£29.75

.177

£24.95 !

plink plink :-)

RT

Reply to
[news]

> If that's "Neosorexa", I would agree. I use it on the rats here, and

It is very. Also their Sorexa CD is mustard for getting rid of mice - looks just like bird seed.

Reply to
shaun

I wondered about that, but I only have 12 gauge, which is probably a bit in the overkill range.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Yes, but it saves the suffereing.

If you use smallest gauge shot, and a wide choke you can sometimes get two at once.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This is England and our traditional weapon is the longbow. Everyone should practice for four hours a day and have overdeveloped right arm muscles

Reply to
John

MMMmmmmm. Rat aerosol.

Reply to
Huge

... er ... have you ever hit a rat with an arrow from a longbow? I've never managed a rabbit ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I think you'll find that bow hunting is against the law in the UK.

Reply to
Huge

I've never tried to be honest. Mind you I could hit static targets using a bow with fair accuracy in my youth. I do have a faily good rat score with a four-ten shotgun and have also laid a fair few to rest with a .22 air rifle with scope but the scope makes sighting a moving target somewhat chancy when you consider the rats erratic/nervous movements. The best thing about using a bow is the easy availability of materials to create the weapon and the ammunition without much chance of officialdom being able to monitor or prevent you. A half decent home workshop can also produce a very effective crossbow which has more accuracy in use than a longbow

Reply to
John

er ... "This is England and our traditional weapon is the longbow."

Someone I could poke with a very short keyboard said that not very long ago ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

and a ventilated chicken house.

Besides which, have you seen the price of 12 gauge shells? I wouldn't even rabbit with a shotgun, let alone rat.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In England our traditional weapon is the crossbow, for dealing with those pesky Welsh longbowmen. There's a notice to this effect on the town gate in Chepstow.

Strange how Chepstow still seems to permit the shooting of any Welshman encountered after dark, whilst it's really nearby Newport that needs it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

9p ea, in bulk, the last time I bought any.

Tsk. Learn to shoot better. :o)

Reply to
Huge