Subject Author Posted Replies

No matter what's proposed, the subject of population control is unpopular.
No matter what's proposed, the subject of population control is unpopular. That's why the politicians keep procrastinating. All leaders should have a job requirement to attend regular meetings of a...
1
1

Trying to get a watertight seal between an outside tap (1/2") and brass fitting
We have an outside tap fitting which consists of a 12 mm copper pipe soldered to a brass elbow that is screwed to the wall. This elbow has a standard 1/2" BSP thread (internal) into which a tap is...
26
26

OT: Why can't non-EU websites ignore EU cookie laws/GDPR?
If an American company with an American server doesn't obey EU cookie/GDPR/privacy laws, what's the EU gonna do? They can't get someone into trouble for breaking a law which only exists in another...
20
20

Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor
I was just wondering in this wonderful world of new materials if anyone who has a washing machine has solved the intense vibration on a wooden floor without resorting to pouring concrete? Its begging...
27
27

SOT: Leaving Hive Hub behind when you move house
Hive tell you to take your Hive Hub with you when you move house "because the new occupier won't be able to use it". WHY? OK, you'll have set up a Hive account in your name and you won't be able to...
8
8

Help with EXCEL
Using MS EXCEL 2007 I'm trying to set up a spreadsheet to total the time spent on a project, and hence the cost. The columns are: Col.1 Date; Col.2 Start Time hh:mm; Col.3 End Time hh:mm; Col.4 Time...
24
24

Garage interior boarding out
Hello group members, I'm new to DIY and have set myself the task of renovating the interior of my outside garage. I figure I can make my mistakes in there whilst using it to learn what I'm doing as I...
60
60

Levelling a kitchen floor
I have a floor that I wish to add laminate flooring. I am intending to use an underlay but this will be limited in thickness. The existing floor has been removed. In parts this was two layers of lino....
14
14

Radiator Sizing
Whilst remodelling the bathroom I need to move the existing radiator. The current 600 X 500 double panel convector has always made the bathroom really cosy especially first thing in the morning...
4
4

Another thought on fuel efficiency...
It occurred to me today, having finally got the aircon fixed, that aircon introduces another dimensions into MPG calculations. It is generally reckoned that a car with windows closed has less drag...
88
88

IKEA PAX / KOMPLEMENT PLASTIC DOWELS - Where can I find them?
Hi I have bought a second hand IKEA PAX wardrobe and can't find a replacement for a critical bit of plastic that allows the hinges to be screwed on. The little plastic dowels go into the pre-drilled...
6
6

Octopus, meter change, refusing smart meters
Octopus are nagging me to have my electricity meter changed (it's due to run out of certification). Apparently they can't fit a non-smart one as they haven't any left. Should I finally resign myself...
47
47

New Boiler
My plumber quoted £4K for a new boiler. British Gas are offering their seasonal discounts for about £3K. Choice of Worcester Greenstar Ri 15kW - Regular or Vaillant ecoFIT pure 415 - Regular. Any...
15
15

Mobile Phone SIM cards
Help please! Everything I know about mobile phone SIM cards could be written on the back of a nano sim with a sharpie. I've just bought a phone-and-text-only 4G featurephone to replace my 2G/GSM...
22
22

Bosch Dishwasher Fault
Woke up this morning to the sound of the dishwasher - a grinding plastic gears misaligned sort of sound, quite loud, coming from the impeller pump area under the lower wash arm. The dishwasher wasn't...
17
17