3 Way Cntral heating Valves

The central heating will only come on if you have the hot water on as well. If you turn the hot water off via the clock or cylinder stat the whole system goes off.To get hot water and heating to work at the same time you have to have hot water on. I have checked the room stat and the three way valve rotates I have replaced thw clock but you still cannot get heating to work on its own. Any ideas

Could be the microswitch in the valve. I presume it has worked in the past?
Christian.

the valve actuator.
If it has never worked, it could be due to the lack of a HW OFF feed from the programmer and/or using a straight on/off switch rather than change-over contacts in the cylinder stat. See Y-plan in http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/systems.htm for how it should be wired.
Roger