3.6v Cordless Screwdriver at Wickes

Went in Wickes today, and noticed they had a 3.6v Cordless Screwdriver with Lithium Ion battery and a 3 year guarantee for £15 (originally £30).

Is 3.6v useless, or does it not depend on the voltage.

Picked up a catalogue, and noticed these are not in it.

Reply to
Paul S

I suspect these might well be very similar to those from Lidl/Aldi (can't remember which!). These are around a tenner and their main advantage is lightness and a torque that is enough for small screws without stripping them out.

Reply to
robgraham

Can be useful for things like flat pack assembly, depends on the torque it produces - which isn't mentioned on the web site. No separate battery is a downside.

Cheap enough though, handy thing to have for DIY.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No experience with the li-ion ones, but 'screwdriver' normally means something that's too weak and too slow to be called a drill. Handy for appliance screws, and maybe adequate if your total diy consists of putting a curtain rail up or some such once every 6 months.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

So, if I wanted this for say, screwing down loft boards into joists, this wouldn't have enough torque for 1.5inch screws with a pilot hole in the joist.

Reply to
Paul S

It might do a couple. Slowly.

That's a job for a real driver - or even better, an impact driver.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Lidl - about £13 last Autumn. Limited use, but mine was very handy yesterday for replacing screws in a situation tha would have been awkward with a manual 'driver and impossible with a 'bent' driver. If the Wickes' one can be straightened out and has gearing that locks rotation it'll be about the same as Lidl's.

As I was using no.8x½" screws, the limited torque was good, but a pilot hole would be necessary even for these.

Reply to
PeterC

Agreed. I use these for smaller jobs, 14.4v for bigger - like loft boards.

?special=product_detail_popup&pid=1664&catid=81

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sounds similar to B&D one for under £8 in Sainsburys today; managed to resist

Reply to
newshound