28mm gate valves

Are these repairable if they leak with a new washer or is it new gate valve time?

The 28mm gate valves I am talking about are:

Stephen H

just the seal/packing, you can tighten down the gland nut a touch and it will cease leaking for up to a year/decade. Next stage is to repack or re-seal it. If the shaft is corroded, bin it.

Reply to
grimly4

It's a get valve bin it anyway. Blooming hopeless things once they have been in service for a few yearsthey won't shut off fully and that's even if you excercise them every year as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Oh, they're horrible things. I had a couple of unused ones lying around which I had to press into service as a stopgap measure, with the intention of replacing them with proper lever valves. Guess how long they'll be there...

Reply to
grimly4

Yes, I've heard people say this before but aren't the ball-type isolating valves just as bad for getting stuck if not operated often?

Reply to
Fred

Quality SS lever operated ball valves seem no problem ... never had one fail to close.

Reply to
Rick