2-gang 2-way switch

Is there such a thing as a 2-gang 2-way switch that has a neon light indicator for one of the switch rockers?

The light up in the loft currently gets its feed from the switched live of the landing light so I have to have the landing light switched on to have the loft light on. I want to be able to switch the loft light on and off from the landing switch position but can forsee that someone may leave it on or switch it accidentally, hence the reason for wanting a neon indicator.

John.

Reply to
John

The MK Grid Plus range seem to have a 2 gang (single plate) module plate. You can get switches for that which have neons, and switches that don't have neons.

A larger solution would be a slightly-bigger-than-double surface box that takes two single switches. I just fitted one today (MK again). One switch in each, and just make one a neon.

Grid Plus is neater and probably cheaper.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks Bob, I'll look into that.

John.

Reply to
John

I don't recall any switches with neons in the range, but you can get a switch and separate neon module.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

My apologies - misread it!

There is a single plate with three module slots, so two switches and a neon would fit.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The message from "John" contains these words:

Wouldn't it be easier just to mount the switch either by the hatch so you can see it but not knock it, or inside the loft so you can't forget it?

Reply to
Guy King

I think so...but you may need a single gang rather than trying for a double..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No - but it would be easy to fit one. Maplin etc sell them. Round ones, so only a simple hole needed. Or even a mains LED indicator for posh. You do, however, need a neutral.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 18 Oct 2006 21:43:54 GMT someone who may be "Bob Eager" wrote this:-

Very useful they are too. I have a four way module in the kitchen. One way has a two way switch, which switches the main outside light (this also be switched from the shed), the next way has a neon light module which indicates when the main light is on. The other two ways have single way switches that operate other outside lights (which can only ever be on if the main light is on). A great way to assemble useful switching.

Reply to
David Hansen

I've just found a useful application for the 2 x single plate combined back box. One has the DP switch to isolate the central heating, and the other (with a blanking plate) contains the cross connections that were nastily squashed into the single switch box previously (flexible to the boiler jammed in alongside the other load connections).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Two ways to get away without a neutral.

The naughty way is to to connect to earth instead, assuming that the lights aren't RCD.

The nice way is to use a two way switch and put the neon between L1 and L2. When the lamp is on - one side of the neon is unconnected so it is off. When the lamp is off the neon is in series with the lamp which is low enough resistance to neutral.

Reply to
dcbwhaley

The current is so low it won't trip an RCD.

Or just wire it across a one way switch - the result will be the same. But most want the warning neon to be on with the light.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And one could use a standard two gang switch then, with one of those neon 'sandwich' switch plates...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks very much to everyone who replied - I've learned a lot from your answers :o)

John.

Reply to
John