Subject Author Posted Replies

Viessmann boilers
Anyone got any experience and opinion on Viessmann boilers with or without weather compensation? We've currently got a seven year old Worcester Bosch boiler (not combi) and the heat exchanger seems to...
33
33

New connection to septic tank?
This is not going to be a diy project! But I would like to find out if it is even possible to make a new connection to a 40 yr old brick-built septic tank for a new bathroom in a house extension. Or...
8
8

Sat signal loss until reboot
In gusty winds, TV signals disappear and can only be restored by powering the receiver off and on again. Or at least that's the only way I've discovered so far to restore normal operation. The setup...
35
35

Wiring to a polytunnel
The polytunnel is about 10m from the house. Because the house wall is 3ft thick, but single storey, I'm going to run the 2.5mm SWA cable, along with the water supply pipe, from the attic down the...
4
4

Not-very-low-energy bulbs
Needed a bulb for a bedside light today, so popped in to the local excellent hardware-and-all-sorts shop. Good ol' fashioned 40w filament bulb. 99p Halogen 28w-bright-as-35w. £2.99 WTF is the point...
34
34

help to replace flourescent light with ceiling light?
Hello, I need to remove a 5' flourescent light with a normal light. The wires in my attic seem to run in 3 separate ways and down to the light. Can I pull my 3 wires back into the attic and fit them...
17
17

who did YOU leave out?
http://vps.templar.co.uk/Cartoons%20and%20Politics/Mail.jpg http://vps.templar.co.uk/Cartoons%20and%20Politics/Mail.jpg
4
4

Bit Off Topic: Re Guard Dog
A neighbour the other end of the road has a Dobermann Pinscher guard dog which he keeps in the back garden to protect several cages of expensive small parrots, which he breeds. I'm told that he...
4
4

What is in B&Q's caustic soda?
What is in B&Q's caustic soda? Well, caustic soda of course you foolish boy! But the reason I ask is that it is labelled "concentrated caustic soda" which makes me think it may be mixed with an inert...
23
23

Opening out loo seat fixing holes
I need to increase the diameter of the holes in the loo by 4mm. What is the best way to do it ? Is there some sort of tapered boring tool for china/earthenware (or whatever loos are made with) ? Jim...
8
8

Flow restrictor?
Is this a simple service valve or is it restricting the flow? -- Richard http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/valve.jpg
30
30

OT: Microsoft Office
I know nothing about computers but someone in the family has to do it and I seem to be less frightened than the rest of them, so I've drawn the short straw. A relative has taken advantage of a scheme...
32
32

Jollyfil water level too high
I posted about this problem a few months ago, where the water level in the cistern was filling up above where it should stop, and then overflowing into the toilet. At that time it seemed to have...
9
9

ways to make windows translucent, temporarily?
Hi all, I've taken over a building that I want to use as a workshop and will later want to use it to a dwelling. While I am using it as a workshop, I'd like to make the windows translucent so that...
24
24

Electric Kettle or Gas Saucepan Cheapest Use?
I got to wondering whether it was cheaper to use gas or electric to make our cups of tea. So I sent this request to the technical department of my utility supply company....
49
49