Subject Author Posted Replies

Bath to Shower conversion
I have been landed with a tricky and awkward DIY job & I hate plumbing! Namely replacing the bath in my mum's can't swing a cat in it bathroom with a shower at minimal disruption. I have tried to find...
25
25

Long ladder - a way to help keep the top of it in place
I need to hire a long ladder to reach up about 8 metres or so to a number of places near windows. For extra safety I would like to have some way to ensure the top of the ladder will not be able to...
53
53

Home Hub 5
Is there any way to wall mount this Chris
9
9

Bird on a wire
Recently I have noticed a bird which is tethered by wire or fishing line to a tall, apparently tapered, pole on the roof of a shop. Sorry the picture is not good: It looks as if it might be made of...
8
8

ARCO and Snickers trousers
On offer if you pre order by the 12th. I cannot find anything on their website but the 3312 Duratwills are only £29.95 +VAT. No idea if they incude fat bastard sizes in the offer.
2
2

Virgin Media 'wiring'
We've been offline for a bit because of (yet another) failure of the BT infrastructure, so I've been thinking about switching it all to VM. Probably no significant cost saving, but an outside chance...
31
31

[OT] Help with Yahoo groups
Right in the middle of switching ISP from Demon to Zen. My new Zen account went live yesterday, although Demon was not switched off until earlier this morning. Got almost everything up and running...
4
4

Who goes around core sampling old walls?
If heritage/conservation people, why no putty/mastic/mortar to plug the holes. These are not for cavity wall insulation. There only a few holes per wall , on heritage buildings, and only about an inch...
14
14

Fireproofing
I have a small digital safe pretty useless as far as security is concerned however I would like to use it as the base to make a small fireproof locker. There wont be anything of real value in it, just...
8
8

domestic electrical - using storage heater cable runs after heaters removed
Have removed 3 x T&E connections from the Off-peak CU as we are scrapping the old Storage Heaters it fed. (That CU is not sealed - only the meter/clock feeding it). I just wondered if it would be...
12
12

Velcro Sanding Sheets
I have a B&D mouse sander with profile attachments. It has occurred to me that a good way to get the right size sanding sheets would be to cut them out myself. I can of course buy the largest velcro...
3
3

3/4" Ball Valve connection - female BSP coupler or tap connector?
Just bought a 3/4" ball valve from B&Q and note the instructions say to use a tap connector. The original (and my several year old replacement) used a female BSP coupler. Is there any advantage to...
3
3

Cleaning curtain hooks
Took down some curtains yesterday, and noticed the plastic hooks were a little grubby, as were the plastic brackets attaching the rail to the wall. Removed the lot and cleaned the real, but the hooks...
27
27

Growing moss etc on galvanized fence
We are having to install a new security fencing around our allotment. Its very bright shiny galvanized finish is a bit overpowering. Is there any way to encourage moss etc to grow on it to get it to...
19
19

Keeping the lights on
Sounds like National Grid are having sensible talks behind the scenes to give the finger to the LCPD this Winter and fire-up the "hours expired" coal stations if needed ...
24
24