Subject Author Posted Replies

Roof cleaning and copper ridge
I'll be along again in a minute with another question that my son has raised, but here is Q1. His house is in a large "garden" with huge trees, which drop all sorts of stuff onto his roofs. The north...
9
9

soldering / brazing a lamp shade
Hello, Google tells me that the metal part of a lamp shade is called the lamp carrier or gimbal. One of the metal parts of this has snapped. SWMBO has already decided this is an excuse to buy new...
18
18

carrying a saw in your car?
Hello, Hopefully just about on topic. I came to a stationary queue of traffic yesterday. It looked as though some tree branches had fallen into the road. A police car arrived but from another...
23
23

bonding double stretcher wall
I am building a low-ish (< 1 meter) garden wall basically as double stretch er bond - there are some half brick sections working around obstacles, othe r sections 9" thick and a few sections...
10
10

roots coming out of shower
An aunt went into nursing home, and asked me to fix up her house to sell. It had been vacant for nearly 6 months. In the bathroom, I found plant roots emerging from the shower drain. Shower was...
13
13

Inaccessible Mice
Our ceiling is made from concrete with battens nailed to it and plasterboard nailed to the battens. This leaves a gap of about one inch between the top of the board and the concrete. Mice seem to be...
20
20

Totally OT: Empty your bank accounts for July!
Gentlemen, A word to the wise. Greece has a TON of debt repayments coming due in July - a succession of eye watering sums falling due which are beyond the resources of the country alone to repay and...
13
13

What not to do with an angle grinder
Two police officers who were injured when they were attacked with a power tool are "doing well" in hospital.
1
1

Bathroom sink recommendations please.
The eight year old B&Q bathroom pedestal basin has a fine crack across the basin so I need to replace it. Any recommendations? Needs to be suitable for a mixer tap* and not too ornate. *Looking at...

Greedy little birds
Have been hanging a 3/4 coconut shell filled with fat from the bird table for about 2 years now. Mostly attracted starlings, and lasted a couple of weeks before it needed replacing. The starlings are...
10
10

Batery charging - brain fade day?
Looking further at battery charging I seem to be having brain fade. I will work it through in simplistic terms then ask! Starting with (volts * amps = watts). 250v * 4A = 1kW Or to put it another way,...
45
45

OT - network based answering service?
X-Posted here because of the cognoscenti! I am involved with a local charity support group who are not the most IT literate, and those supported are even less so. We are having problems communicating...
42
42

Paint Primers
Hi all, I have some Ronseal white metal primer designed for radiators and pipework. Can I get away with using it for a small stretch of new, bare wood skirting board? (less than 1 metre) Or is it...
6
6

If Russ Andrews made ...
... bog flushers
7
7

Demolition - and demolition is DIY related
Just a heads up for those that might be interested Sunday 8pm BBC2 All episodes of Demolition - The Wrecking Crew
32
32