Subject Author Posted Replies

New nuclear cement
Report of a "new" cement that will help in storing nuclear waste 50% better than previously proposed barrier solutions. Wonderful! Long-term cement study seeks nuclear waste solution "Their optimum...
6
6

Do NOT do this!
Shove a baking potato into the microwave oven. It's the healthy option, better than chips. Try to set the warp drive power and the timer, but you don't understand how to do it but hope for the best....
28
28

TRV won't allow flow, flow OK without TRV head.
I'd like to avoid calling the plumbers back if I can. Last week we had two stuck-shut TRVs replaced, the new ones are marked Bulldog gen2. We were looking forward to being warm again but alas, twas...
13
13

draughts behind the drywall
Hi all, My house was built in 2002 with a raised ground floor, air bricks every two meters and dot and dab dry lining throughout. The loft was "ready convert ed" with two rooms upstairs and a full...
18
18

Safety regulations, For the benefit of the brain dead.
When a safety issue is identified, often a new regulation is devised. Almost always it is not retrospective. This seems to lead the brain dead here to think that just because they see something, that...
16
16

Jailed for illegal electrical work
In Ireland, not here: An unregistered electrician has become the first person to be jailed in Ireland for carrying out dangerous and illegal electrical work. ... He handed down a three-month sentence...
1
1

OT: Bonkers!
china
8
8

OT. Yet more cultural enrichment.
SOME of the deadliest diseases in history are making a comeback in the UK, and there are fears even the Black Death could return to these shores.
6
6

Door hinge placement
I've been told that most carpenters place the bottom door hinge further from the bottom than the top hinge is from the top. Why? Mine are the same (as fitted by whoever was here before me, and I've...
29
29

Health and softy for dishwashers
I can't believe it, I've just discovered the majority actually face their cutlery down in the dishwasher so they don't hurt themselves. What happened to cleaning them properly? What happened to being...
34
34

Anyone suggest a good reliable b&w laser printer? Mine's just cra*
I have a Brother 2035 - and it's been nothing but trouble since I first bought it. The toner carts go in ok but always decide to wedge on the way out. Paper jams are regular etc etc. And now it's...
72
72

Pointing tool
Evening everyone, especially those who might remember me. We've had a dreadful few plumbing weeks, the boiler dying on New Year's Eve just before the extended Bank Holiday and all the historic piping...
37
37

Central heating
I have an old style boiler installed over 20 years ago, vented system, Wickes (Halstead) 40/50. The boiler works fine but every time it starts up it has air in the system, lots of bangs, cracks and...
5
5

Floor again - result!
My mate had a genius idea to the dormer with just 4x2" ceiling joists under a couple of alcove areas (main floor is 8x2"). Turns out there is just room to run a 6x2" C24 (red in the above picture)...

Bed a monobloc tap in silicone or plumbers mait?
It is through a worktop rather than the kitchen sink itself. I want to stop it spinning and also seal it. Which would you use? Brendan.
3
3