Slightly OT--Threaded Metal Fasteners

I have the trunk my great grandfather brought from Germany to Maryland about 1880. I believe this trunk was in the family well before this date as it appears much older. The fasteners used were nails and rivets; no screws.
When did threaded metal fasteners appear on the scene?
George M. Nuetzel (Ntzel) Parkville, Baltimore County, MD.
suggest you have a look at this link.
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=%2Bthread+%2Bscrew+%2Bhistory&metaThe equal sign needs to be part of the link. you may need to cut and paste the link to your internet browser, and add the = before starting the URL search.
The first article says first screws were 1797, but there were serious problems with standardization - everything was custom made. If the link does not work for you, then Google +thread +screw +history
Bruce Nelson

--------------8DA9890B420BF64583215027 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Thanks so much. I'm checking it out. Looks interesting.
George