Slightly OT--Threaded Metal Fasteners

I have the trunk my great grandfather brought from Germany to Maryland about 1880. I believe this trunk was in the family well before this date as it appears much older. The fasteners used were nails and rivets; no screws.

When did threaded metal fasteners appear on the scene?

George M. Nuetzel (Nützel) Parkville, Baltimore County, MD.

Reply to
George Nuetzel

suggest you have a look at this link.

equal sign needs to be part of the link. you may need to cut and paste the link to your internet browser, and add the = before starting the URL search.

The first article says first screws were 1797, but there were serious problems with standardization - everything was custom made. If the link does not work for you, then Google +thread +screw +history

Bruce Nelson

Reply to
Bruce & Lois Nelson

Thanks so much. I'm checking it out. Looks interesting.

George

Bruce & Lois Nels> suggest you have a look at this link.

Reply to
George Nuetzel