Pneumatic Chainsaw Cost

How come pneumatic chainsaws are so much more expensive than the gas ones?

Nehmo Sergheyev

Uh, I would guess volume...

Mark

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

Reply to
Mark & Shauna

The price is in Australian dollars to start with.

Reply to
Chas Hurst
040516 1727 - Nehmo Sergheyev posted:

I used a pneumatic chainsaw when I was in the Army working on a target range for the cadets at West Point. It was a nice unit, and light, but it didn't have the power that the gas units had. It was good for small stuff. Of course, we had a compressor truck to go with it and a few hundred feet of hose.

Reply to
indago

I just used an electric chain saw. Not as much power as a gas unit, but much lighter and starts at the push of a button.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Pneumatic motors in that HP range are a much bigger deal to make than a cheezy little two stroke motor.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

You can even use one underwater.

Reply to
joaquino
040517 2333 - Chas Hurst posted:

Reminds me of the story of the guy who purchased a new gas engine powered chain saw to replace an old hand push saw, the salesman telling him that this would greatly increase his productivity and ease his workload. A couple of days later the individual returned, found the salesman and told him he was returning the chainsaw. The salesman asked him where it was, and the guy told him it was in the trunk of his car. They went outside, and on the way the guy complained of the sales pitch that was given him about productivity, and ease of workload and said the new chainsaw did none of those things. When they got to the trunk of the car, the guy opened the trunk and the salesman took the chainsaw out of the trunk and pulled on the starter cord, and the saw started up with a roar. The guy said: "What's that noise???"

Reply to
indago

:) Good one.

Reply to
the_clansman

- Nehmo -

- Nehmo - Pneumatic drills don't have the volume electric ones do, but they're cheap.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

- the_clansman -

- Nehmo - Except that the story isn't true. But there're real-life stories that demonstrate equal ignorance. Once I left a new worker with the job of removing some bolts & nuts holding up some mobile home axles. I connected the electric impact wrench and demonstrated, as I easily removed the first nut and knocked out its bolt. I handed him the wrench, and as I was leaving, I heard the bamming begin. I like to leave new workers unsupervised for a bit so they feel a sense of responsibility for the job. I was gone for a little under an hour, and when I returned I saw that even though he was completely sweaty and exhausted, he had not removed one bolt.

He had been squeezing the trigger of the impact wrench the wrong way. He had been tightening the bolts - not unscrewing them.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev