Electric Power Washer Surging

My electric power washer wont hold pressure when I attach a nozzle to the wand. Instead it surges; motor on, motor off, motor on, motor off.
If I remove the nozzle, the motor comes on and pumps water out the end of the wand, much like a garden hose.
When I took the cover off, I see there is a plastic switch thingy that has water attached to one end and an electrical wire to the motor solenoid. This is likely my problem, agreed?
Anybody know the name of that part, or have a different solution?
Thanks...

sounds like you haven't got a sufficiently high supply of water entering the machine the cutout is there to protect the pump when the flow is interrupted Derek

I"ve got plenty of pressure at the source, but I'll check for obstructions at the inlet.
Thanks for the response.