Water Heater

No question is stupid ? I just installed my 1st double element, 240V water heater..all ok, it works but what is used for the comon or ground wire? The tank and romax cable ??? Thanks. Howie

Reply to
H. Sharrott

The ground screw (tied to the tank) and the romex ground.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

The question's not stupid, just the person that completed the installation and turned it on with out finding out the answer first.

kenny b

Reply to
kennybs

The little Green green screw was un-used on the old tank now the new tank..same bare ground screw. The romax conduit must be the ground ??? Thanks Jake

Reply to
H. Sharrott

Hi Ken..The old tank had NO wire to the green ground screw, Just had a Red and a Black wire running thru a romax conduit wall box to tank. This is an apartment complex and they all seem to be like that..The heater is working ok..What say you ? Thanks. Howie

Reply to
H. Sharrott

Romex is the plastic covered stuff. Greenfield is the flexible conduit made of metal and can serve as ground must it be secured with a connector to the water heater.

Mark

Reply to
Mark M.

Thanks Mark...I learned something...Greenfield ? What did they call that OLD type flex cable that had the 2 wires inside wrapped in paper.the type that was always shorting out...causing fires ??? Howie

Reply to
H. Sharrott

BX.

Mark