Scalded and frozen in the shower

Hi, I recently moved into a building in NYC that is 3 stories tall. I'm on the 2nd floor. Nearly every time I take a shower I am alternately scalded and then frozen. These are not slow temperature changed but are rather sudden and pose a risk to me because I have to jump out of the way or risk getting burned.
I'm preparing a letter along with a log of the dates, times, and # of times I have been burned or frozen. For the heck of it I thought I throw in a possible solution. I have seen that there are shower setups that regulate the water temp at the level of the shower output. Do these really work? If so, what is a good, expensive, model that I'll be happy with?
Thanks,
Mike
I'm pretty sure I've seen ads for those things that screw on the outlet of the faucet. I personally don't see how they could possibly work, given that the hot and cold water are already mixed together at this point. Look into mixing or tempering devices that will replace the shower faucet or temper the water going into it.
Dean

New shower faucets are required by law to have an anti-scald device built into the faucet. My brand of choice is Delta. However, any NEW shower faucet will have the anti-scald feature. If money is no object I would recommend the Delta 1824 for showers, comes with a built-in body spray feature.
On 01/22/04 snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com write in part:

Incorrect......Anti-Scald is not a requirement. Thermal shock IS the concern. Thermal shock being defined along the lines of: a surprise caused by sudden changes in water temperature, warmer or colder, than the valve was orginally set at.
"Pressure Balancing" or "thermostatic blending" shower or Tub/Shower valves are required in new installatios WHERE the recently published major plumbing codes have been adopted. Not every corner of the U.S. and certainly not the world are covered by plumbing codes.

Once again you're INCORRECT. Delta still lists (as of Jan 5, 2004) 2 and 3 handle shower or tub/shower sets that are not pressure balancing (2600 and 2800 series). Price Pfister and Moen still make valves that would not meet the requirements for thermal shock protection.
Doug
. My brand of choice is Delta. However, any NEW shower

I use this faucet alot,, and it is incredable. and the price is more than resonable, for all the options, and movable body spray. Highly recomended!
What about a symmons S-96...

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:52:27 GMT, "runningwater"

What was the cost like and how exactly does it work?