Re: Plumbing question

This is a very simple set up. The HWS has an inlet from the mains. There is a ball cock control on the inlet to the HWS. It is gravity feed from the HWS down a pipe to the bath. The bath has separate hot and cold taps but a single outlet. The pipe then continues on to the vanity and further on to a shower. If I turn on the hot tap at the bath, no water comes out. If I then go and turn on the hot tap on the vanity, water comes out of the vanity tap and then the water comes out of the bath hot tap. If I turn off the vanity hot tap, the bath hot tap functions properly. I have to repeat the process the next time I want to use the bath hot tap. I think I have photos from when this was being constructed if that would help. These would show the layout that is now behind the walls.

on
To discuss, reply in: alt.building.construction

I thought so, it's the demand control valve. Maintains the level in your "resevoir" The resevoir and everything below it is your gravity fed system. (And the most likely cause of "weird effects". I was concerned you might have had an open heat exchange set up.. (Trickle down the roof to a trough.
To estimate the total pressure available in your system, measure the height from min/max resevoir, to the two outlets in question (vanity, and bath) 32ft = 14.7 psi or abvout 5 psi for every 10 feet of height above the exit point.

The bath is upstream to the vanity. So the effects are due to height - Not much pressure so inches count.. The vanity must be suffiently lower to allow the flow to start, On a marginal set up like this, the time it takes the flow to be established counts too. What you call "normal" would likely have others call a plumber. :)

Might provide a chuckle, but not likely. You're going to figure it out, not me.
----- My favorite quote ----- "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
The pressure is not great but sufficient. The vanity tap is actually about two feet higher than the bath tap. When they both flow, they are of equal pressure. When these were first installed, both taps had equal flow. It is only recently that this change has occurred.
wrote:

is
exit point.

help.

I'm no plumber but it sounds like you have some sort of airlock problem. You might try another group even a physics one (if you have the photos so they can quibble about the difference in metric to imperial units and any other childish thing they can come up with) at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=sci.physics&btnG=Google+Search&meta
"Michael McNeil"

Guffawww!!!! Perhaps, if quantum mechanics are real, there's a parallel existence where this timeline is being played out, but not in this universe. (I just love Star Trek!)

actually about

of equal

flow. It is

at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=sci.physics&btnG=Google+Search&meta
Try pdaxs.services.plumbing. They've helped me out.
Ken

hey ken...for 5 bucks....what's the name of this newsgroup?