Simple Plumbing question

Here's a real simple one...

New construction building where water supply to the entire house was shut off at the main valve in the basement where water service enters the building. Is there a need to turn off the gas, hot water tanks also ? The tanks were full of water at the time water service was shut off.

Thanks, Curt

Reply to
crhras

Andy comments: I think it is a bad idea to have any active energy source going to a hot water heater , gas or electric, when the water supply is shut off.

The most obvious is that leaks may occur and the water will be lost, and the tank element, or heat channel, will burn up since there is no coolant.

You can probably get away without energy shut-off, especially if it is only for a few minutes or a couple hours, but need to be aware of the possibilities...

Andy

Reply to
AndyS

I feel the gas should be shut off. As there is no water to be used, there's no need to continuously heat the water (that no one is going to use.)

Reply to
PPS

Cutting off the gas seems a good safety measure if the water is to be off for more than a few hours. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Reply to
Glenn

I routinely shut off the water and power to my water heater at camp ( electric ) and the pump to the well. When I return I repower the well pump ( usually will not kick on since it has held its pressure ) and then turn on the kitchen hot water tap which is above the heater to make sure the system is full of water. With the hot water tap still flowing I then flip the switch on the water heater to on and return to the tap to turn it off. This works for me and I would not think of doing it any other way. Hot water tanks don't work good or for long if they are not full of water.

Reply to
bitternut