neat factoid

our water co hands out little plastic rulers with their name on them. on the back it has some neat facts. It says:
a dripping faucet can waste 3 gallons a day 1095 gal a year. A hole in a pipe 1/16" at 60psi will leak out 25,000 per month over 800 gal per day. That is a hole the same width of a pin.
A 1/4" hole (about the size of a straw) will leak 394,000 gal per month. over 500 gal per hour
Try telling that to some idiot with a bad flapper in his WC. They get religion real fast when the water bill is due.
I do notice my city fixes water main leaks fast. I see them all the time, my granddad put them in about a 100 years ago. Most streets turn into a city swimming pool. They'd been due to be replaced about 50 years after they were installed by him according to type of pipe used back then. Typical government thinking.

gal