Zennis diasppointing

You might want to consider no-line bifocals; i.e., "progressive" lenses. Take a bit of getting used to - couple of days - but provide you with the ability to find a focus point for most any distance.

Reply to
dadiOH

Aging of Eyes Is Blamed for Range of Health Woes

Noone

Stormin,

Read about 1/2 of this thread. Here's what I understand. You have bifocals. Your old prescription no longer works well. You have trouble reading traffic signs, so it's "distance" vision that's giving you problems. You go to your optometrist. He measures your eyes and prescribes weaker distance vision. What? Think about it. You can't see at a distance so he prescribes weaker glasses. Doesn't make sense. Something is wrong here. It's hardly surprising that the new glasses don't work. Some illnesses, such as diabetes, can shrink and swell eyeballs thus changing the ability to focus. Poorly fitted eyeglasses can also cause problems. Go back to your optometrist and discuss your problem with him. Most likely the problem is not with the maker of the eyeglasses. I'm betting that you bought the glasses on-line, took them out of the box and slapped them on your face without any fitting or adjusting. That's a real problem with on-line opticians.

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

...and you can't buy decent-fitting eyeglasses online.

Reply to
dennisgauge

I've heard from a couple people. Whose Rx has gotten milder, as they age. I've found that if I hold my old glasses out a couple inches, the distance sharpens right up.

You're right that I got them online, which is the only way

sells. And you're right, I did very little adjusting. The wire frames with pads, had to push the pads closer.

I'm going to try and find an optical place that will check (or let me check) to see if the Rx of these Zennis is what I asked for.

.

[...]

Stormin Mormon

When I needed glasses, I tried them once and they drove me crazy. I could never get used to them especially for driving. I went back to a regular bifocal then.

Reply to
Doug

I also tried the "no-line" type and about fell on my a** when I first tried them. They had originally told me that it would take a few days to get used to them but after a week of no joy I regressed to the regular line type.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

I think you should try to get your glasses from the same optician as this guy. *_*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The only bifocals I've ever had have been progressive. Never had a problem: they work for distance, computer and reading.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I thought of something else. When I get a prescription, whether from the optometrist or from the ophthalmologist, it specifies only the optical characteristics. When I take the prescription to get the glasses made (for the past many years it's been at Costco), they take the frame I selected (with its clear glass dummy lenses), fit it on me and mark the position of my pupils on the "lenses," then measure the distance from that mark to ... (I don't know: perhaps the bottom of the lens). That measurement is then part of the specification of the lenses that suit

*me* in that frame. Then when I pick them up, they sometimes fiddle with the nose pads to make sure that the fit is correct and that the center of the lens is in the correct position. How does all that get taken care of with mail-order eyeglasses?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

You can get a Garmin with a 5 inch screen for maybe $100 and about $30 more for lifetime maps and traffic.

Once you set the gps, you need not look at it since it talks to you.

Hope I'm not telling you something you don't already know.

If you constantly drive around looking for addresses, you're nuts not to have a gps.

Reply to
Frank

Zenni asks for pupillary distance. Think that is all the opticians do.

Rather than measure myself, I had the eye doctor do it since I see him every 6 months.

With Zenni you can upload a picture of yourself without glasses and go through the frames to see what they will look like on you. You will have to adjust the frames when you get them but the two pair I've bought are memory titanium and fit right out of the box.

Last pair was $45, including shipping - $300 less than my optician charges.

Reply to
Frank

That's my brother George. Folks say we look just alike.

.

I think you should try to get your glasses from the same optician as this guy. *_*

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The spec is called PD, or Pupilary Distance.

1) Measure it with a ruler, it's measured in milimeters. Needs a trusted friend to hold the ruler, and do the check. 2) Ask your optician for the number 3) Zenni ships rulers to balance on your nose, and take your own measurement
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Never had, used, owned, or had a GPS device in my hand, much less used one.

Now, I'll go back to scraping spiders off the ceiling. Have we had our pills, yet?

.

You can get a Garmin with a 5 inch screen for maybe $100 and about $30 more for lifetime maps and traffic.

Once you set the gps, you need not look at it since it talks to you.

Hope I'm not telling you something you don't already know.

If you constantly drive around looking for addresses, you're nuts not to have a gps.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You don't know what you're missing. If you have to use maps, flashlight to read street signs, etc. the gps will take their use away. You'd be surprised how easy they are to learn and to use.

I just gave an old hand held and and old car gps to my brother-in-law and he loves them and they are nowhere as nice as my new ones.

I just got one for my son's birthday as he's been in the habit of calling us when he's lost when driving, wanting us to get on the computer for directions.

Reply to
Frank

Once in a while that happens with some people. First pair took me a day to get used to. I'd never go back to a regular bifocal though. I've had progressives for about 12 years and find them perfect for reading, computer, etc.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't think so.

Testing for glaucoma involves measuring the pressure on the optic nerve. That's done with drops to numb the eye, then a gizmo that presses directly up against your eye and determines the pressure.

Also, a visual field depth test should be done occasionally.

I'm assuming you saw an ophthalmologist rather than an optometrist.

Reply to
Lane

The "puff of air" thingy is also a test of the intra-eye pressure. The puff of air changes the shape of the eye, which is measured optically. It's not as "icky" as sticking something in the eye.

The eye pressure is an indication of Glaucoma but the eye pressure can be completely "normal" and you can still have Glaucoma. Three doctors tracked my eyes for a couple of years (each) before they decided my optic nerves were just different. My pressure was completely normal, if not low at times.

Not usually. Sun glasses work fine. I always drive myself home after an eye exam.

Nothing wrong with optometrists (ODs). Using an ophthalmologist for a routine eye exam is *way* overkill; sorta like going to a cardiologist for a cold.

Reply to
krw

Damn! I can't read anything further than 15'20' away with my bifocals. OTOH, I can't see anything closer than two arms lengths without them. ;-)

I like my frames and can't find new ones worth having, so just keep putting new lenses in my old frames. They aren't as cheap as Zenni but I'd probably go through a set of those a week. ;-) They don't make 'em big enough for my likes, either.

Reply to
krw