Workbench Vise

Left side or Right side of the Workbench? I'm right-handed.

I use two vises; for cutting wood, a carpenter's vise flush with the top of the bench, on the right corner, and a top mounted standard machinists vise about a foot in from the right corner, so it doesnt interfere with the wood vise. Both are essential for me, and for right handed folks, having the vices on the right are a real convenience.

Which side feels best to you? I ended up with one on each end, plus a pipe vise on another bench.
HTH, Pop
I have two workbenches, one carpenter and the the other machinist. Both vises are mounted on the left because there is more space all around there. Makes no difference that I'm right-handed.

OMG ive seen it all now. but while im on this post....were should i put my couch? left or right side of room?

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 31 Jul 2005 23:11:14 GMT "I R Baboon"

Do you ever lie back on it? Are you right-headed or left-headed?

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Are you Right or Left handed? I R Baboon wrote:

FWIW, as a righty I find it more convenient to have the vise on the right, so that the stub of a long piece is sticking out beyond the bench.
John Smith wrote:

I'm right handed and like the right side for the same reason.
Be sure to mount the vice so it's fixed jaw hangs slightly beyond the front edge of the bench, and if possible off the end edge too when swiveled.
This simple act makes the vise much more versatile, in that long material can hang down past the bench edge if necessary.
Erik
Interesting. I find it nice as a righty to have the vise on the left. Only because that's where all the vises were in the shop in high school and it just 'feels right'.

Just make sure you put it on the top of the workbench, i think everything else will work itself out.