wooden I beams?

what are those wooden beams that look sort of like an I beam called?...the ones made up partially of OSB? thanks, cj

A lot of people call them by a brand name - Trusjoist, also truss joist, or I-joist.
On 12/08/2009 02:23 PM, RicodJour wrote:

And if you have a flood the OSB turns to sawdust and the house collapses.

I think if the "flood" is significant (like standing water) you might have bigger problems than floor joists getting wet.
Despite "popular wisdom" OSB (even though its not my favorite material) is pretty decent stuff. I posted while back about some work I did for a crusty old SE (he HATED OSB) would wanted to prove "that stuff is crap".
I built some cripple walls out of it, some sample I watered a couple times a day for a few weeks.....tested them against "un-watered" ones. No strength difference.
SO .......... OSB bashers (me included) it is a lot better material than one might think.
cheers Bob

I-joist.
http://usglulam.com/products/ijoist /
This one is called a "Canuk Lam" <G>
http://www.showroom411.com/entry/beams-and-headers/canuk-lam.html

I prefer the manufacture joists that use zigzagged 2x4's. You get more open space to run duct work, plumbing and power. Without having to figure out where it's ok to make holes. But the I trusses do require less height which is also nice.

But they also present more problems with fireblocking and such.
wooden I beams?:

Wood I-Beam joists http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid 90
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

In SoCal, they are often referred to as TJ-I's short for TrusJoist I's
doesn't nearly everyone call a tissue .......Kleenex? or an adjustable wrench ....... a crescent wrench?
cheers Bob
DD_BobK wrote:

I honestly don't think I have ever done either of the above. I never even called copy machines "Xerox" machines. I did however grow up calling a vacuum cleaner a "Filter Queen".
cj wrote:

" I - Joists "

"Widowmakers" amongst the fire service. http://www.firehouse.com/topics/fire-prevention-and-investigation/enterin g-through-door-falling-through-floor http://preview.tinyurl.com/yadbkpz
http://www.wisn.com/news/18963121/detail.html
--
To find that place where the rats don't race
and the phones don't ring at all.