Shielding wooden beam

HI,

I've installed a woodburner and the stove pipe runs very close to a wooden beam forming the mantlepiece over the stove. The installer told me I should cover the back of this beam with 'fireboard' and that I could get some from B & Q.

Needless to say the've never heard of it. I guess it should be the modern equivalent of asbestos board ?

I've asked the local builders merchant who was as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Can anyone give me a name of the board I need & a possible thickness I don't have much room to play with.I'm hoping to get something

Reply to
Stuart

Even if you put in some protection like this it won't stop the wood getting hot after a short period of time - it merely delays it. Fireboards only stop flames passing, not heat. I would be happier if the stovepipe was rerouted in some way.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

A touch of the old bull perhaps? Or did he say fibreboard?

Never heard of the stuff!

You really need to get the mantlepiece away from the stove pipe - or get a twin wall flue in the section that runs closest to it.

Oh, and hang a bit of garlic on the front and back door frames to keep the local BCO away and fit a smoke detector over the mantlepiece along with a sprinkler system!

Reply to
Brian G