Wood Filler For Exterior Wood Patching ?

Hi,

Have a piece of our patio door (a wooden section) that has a bit of rot in it.

But 99 % of the door is just fine.

Thought I could scrape out the bad part and "fill" it in with something, and re-paint the area.

i remember from years ago there was a product called Plastic-Wood.

I imagine by now there are lots of "better" wood fillers available for exterior use.

Anybody able to recommend any (remember, it has to be for exterior, and set-up hard) ?

BTW: Any with epoxy in them as a component ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

2 part wod epoxy, once repaired address why its detoriating so the problem doesnt spread
Reply to
hallerb

I use plastic wood products for small repairs only. They are not that strong and are surprisingly difficult to use since the solvent evaporates so rapidly.

I use Bondo-type unsaturated polyester products for larger repairs. I have some Bondo-type repairs of rotted wood doing well after 3 years in the Tampa area and 3 years in upper Michigan.

I have not tried the more expensive epoxy products yet.

I would expect the epoxy to outperform the Bondo (unsaturated polyester) when dealing with exterior concrete repair. I would expect both to perform similarly in exterior wood repair (i.e. exterior wood is poor substrate and the superior adhesive properties of the epoxy would be wasted).

Waterproof your repair or it won't last.

I would expect both to outperform plastic wood in any exterior application.

Jason

Reply to
jazon48

I always save some sawdust off the power saw and use it as a filler with either epoxy, polyester, or waterproof glue.

Reply to
cavedweller

I believe that it's MinWax who makes a two-step process. After tearing out the rot and finding the cause per hallerb the first step is a liquid 'hardener'. I don't know what it is but it peneterates and hardens pretty quickly. After that comes the two-part Bondo type filler. It even smells like good old Bondo. It works easily and has stayed in place for 4 years on the bottom of a steel faced door. The bottom wooden stile had been eaten away by carpenter ants.

Reply to
C & E