Wives don't understand home repair.

Jeez...I'm lucky if I get a replacement *belt* for my drill press. ;-)
You got a DRILL PRESS? I had some sort of a hamster device, but the hamsters died one day while cutting some stainless steel. Some people are just lucky.
Steve ............

What, does it keep falling down? I hate it when that happens! ;-)

Dual birthday-Christmas present. I'm not made of money, after all.
He had a nice week off between Christmas and New Years puttering around the shop. (When he wasn't making multiple repairs to garage doors. It's really not fair that his opener should fail just days after my spring broke. Stupid plastic gear.)
Cindy

Up here near Spokane, Wa we have been under an Arctic high, temps down near zero with highs only mid teens for over a week. Garage door failed right off when I was clearing a snow drift. Had to disconnect the opener. It would only start to close then reverse. Got a break in the weather yesterday and checked it out. Cleaned sensors, check this check that.
Discoverd that it worked just fine as long as kept my boot out of the sensor path. :(
Doesn't take much to keep this senior citizen amused
Harry K

BtDt. Thanks for amusing my spouse and me as well ...
--
Best regards
Han

Has the temp risen since the failure?
If my GDO (no sensors) is right on the edge of the down or up force required for "decent" weather, it will sometimes balk (in one or the other direction) when it gets cold. Things stiffen up a bit and the U/ D force settings sense an obstruction and do their thing.
I set mine a little stronger in the winter and then lighten them up in the spring.

Temps been hovering in the same region all the time. When the door first refused I was cleaning a snowdrift away. Then when I found the "problem", thought back, yep, boot in the beam.
I have a problem with mine every winter, have to ease off the tension so it doesn't quite hit the stop. Probably a case of frost heave (very old garage with cracked up concrete slab).
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

I assume since you're posting a problem's description, you're seeking a solution?
I mounted my sensors on the motor unit, on the ceiling, pointing at each other. No further problems with alignment, dirt, obstructions, etc. Works swell.

Great minds think alike. DH mounted the sensors on my side that way (garage came with two doors and one opener, so he installed one on my side). If/when he replaces the opener on his side, I imagine he'll do the same.
Meanwhile, if I get my boot in the way of "his" sensor, the light on the opener flashes to tell me I've been clumsy.
I figure when I'm too old to get out of the way of the door, I'll be too old to drive, anyway.
Cindy Hamilton
Men are from Mars, women from Venus.

No boat. Never cleaned fish, except for gutting smelt with a pair of scissors. I'm currently spoken for, but I can add you to the waiting list. Some guy on rec.food.cooking also made an offer.
Cindy Hamilton

Please be sure to post picture of boat.
Steve

Her: What are you doing today? Me: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic, but before I can do that I need to first install the bathroom vent duct. To install the duct I need to... Her: Nevermind...I'll see you when you're done.
or
Her: What are you doing today? Me: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic, but before I can do that I need to first install the bathroom vent duct. To install the duct I need to... Her: Hold on...do you think you'll be done by 3? Me: Don't know. Why?
...then we discuss what's going on and come to some sort of compromise.
It's been working for 25+ years so no need to change it now.

And then there's:
"I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic"
He gets up there, discovers some stuff that he didn't realize needed to be done, and is up there for most of the day on a 30-minute project. That gets me hollering up the access hatch, "Are you ok? Anything I can do to help? Do you need a drink of water?"
That feature creep is especially common in an older house. Ours is 62; not terribly old, but not a spring chicken either. At least it's only had four owners (including us).
Cindy Hamilton

Her: What are you doing today? Me: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic, but before I can do that I need to first install the bathroom vent duct. To install the duct I need to... Her: Nevermind...I'll see you when you're done.
or
Her: What are you doing today? Me: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic, but before I can do that I need to first install the bathroom vent duct. To install the duct I need to... Her: Hold on...do you think you'll be done by 3? Me: Don't know. Why?
...then we discuss what's going on and come to some sort of compromise.
It's been working for 25+ years so no need to change it now.
After I came home I cooked her a nice comfort food dinner. I am a well trained husband. :)
Colbyt

That's Patrick F. McManus's "law of sequences" where he proves you can't get anything done and should go fishing instead.
Harry K