Wives don't understand home repair.

Page 1 of 4
Wives don't understand home repair.
W: What are you doing today? H: I need to install that last 4x5 area of insulation in the attic.
Seven hours later I come home to a skeptical wife. Seven hours because:
To install that 20 square foot of insulation and finish the attic portion I need to first install the bathroom vent duct.
To install the duct I need to locate the fan assembly. To locate the fan assembly I need to trim some plaster. Before I can trim the plaster, I need to cover a hole in the floor to minimize the mess.
And I went ahead and installed the fan to hold the duct in place.
Geez. I knew what I had to do!
--
Colbyt

Never complain, never explain.
What are you doing today? Nothing, and you?
Steve

did the OP make the needed 3 trips to the store for a variety of minor but critically need supplies
On 12/22/2010 7:43 AM, Steve B wrote:

Genius!
Women think differently than men. It is much better that they both just operate on their own systems and not try to get the other to change over. So, nothing....
I've had two instances recently where a woman gave up on a task that took me less than a second to complete. No explaining that! Not without no end of expaining and no satisfactory end result.
Jeff

Found this over in a diabetes group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezVib_giTFo

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"Always tell the truth and you don't have to remember anything."
On 12/22/2010 9:11 AM, Bill who putters wrote:

;-)
On 12/22/2010 8:25 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

No, not quite :o) Hubby and I WOULD do things the same way IF I were as strong as he and IF he cleaned up the mess I made :o) I can do a lot of stuff around the house, but have to "engineer" it a lot more because he was much stronger than I. And more patient. He fiddled around trying to solder a new outside faucet for FOUR HOURS, but couldn't get the water out of the pipe. I would have offered help sooner, but really wanted to see how dang long he would mess with it. He had the faucet open of course, but I finally went out and opened one that was lower than the one he worked on :o)

Read a map?

Men are much better at spatial relationships. For a couple of million years, the hunters who could more accurately judge the flight of a spear brought home more food, thereby ensuring the survival of his offspring and, perforce, passing the gene on.
Map reading is one residual of that gene. A male usually rotates the map in his head; most women have an easier time rotating the map itself.
[Conversely, women, who had no evolutionary advantage for a spatial relationship gene, didn't select for that trait. They had another. Females were the "gatherers" in the society. The female who "enjoyed" gathering, and did it better than her contemporaries, stood a better chance of her children surviving (on nuts and berries) when the men-folk staggered back home empty-handed and smelling of beer. This gene has NOT fallen away and explains why women enjoy shopping!]

Yup. My wife has absolutely zero spatial aptitude. If two roads don't cross she asks if one can take the second to get to the other side of the first. When we moved to a large(er) city for a contracting job (Akron, OH) I got her a GPS because I knew she'd be perpetually lost otherwise.

That doesn't even help. She just can't "get" the relationship between the map and reality. The "box" tells her, "turn right in 2 miles" and if it's wrong (not unusual) she's toast. I gave up on her navigation 40 years ago.

;-)

We were on vacation when I was a kid. My father was driving. We were lost. My mother got out the map to navigate. Then my father blurted out "let's pick a direction and drive in it". That was before she even had a chance to look at the map. Too funny.

You need to learn how to snip messages. I didn't write anything you included here. I did reply to this thread once, tho.
h wrote:

Could be. But for those who scoff at evolution and hold that the world was created 4,800 years ago, I'll remind them it was MOSES (a male) who led the Israelites to the promised land (admittedly after wandering around in the wrong direction for 40 years), not his wife Zipporah.

He didn't stop for gas and ask directions, like she told him to. I'm sure he didn't get any for at least 39 of those years. ...might also explain the burning bush thing.

No he spent way too much time burning the bush and not enough time navigating.

From my experiences, women just want to see results.
I built a house. I'd take my wife there daily or every other day to see the progress. What I was seeking was her approval. During the framing process, she could grasp nothing except that the workmen had left their lunch sandwich wrappers and Coke cans on the floor. She did not notice that they had framed several walls, or put the trusses on, etc. It got worse, with her picking apart every minute detail, every scarred stud, every hanging wire that was awaiting a receptacle. I finally just had to bring her once a week, or at the end of a stage of construction where she could see a final result, i.e. after the drywall was up, after the painting was done, after the cabinets were hung, etc.
When we explain or even describe what we are doing, it's just a search for approval, and that's not going to happen because most women don't understand that it really does take seven hours to put in a little insulation when you run into things that you never expected before you popped the first bit of sheetrock off. So stop seeking it, and bring them in when the job is done enough so she can see definite progress, or that stage is covered up, and there's just some sort of finished work to cover the internal exposed parts.
And don't turn it over to her until you say so, or she'll have the pots in the cabinets before you even have the range/stove/oven installed.
AND tell her not to talk to the hired help. That's your job.
HTH
Steve

Well, why didn't you tell your wife when she asked, rather than leaving her in the dark?

Balls.
Sorry, I mean, "It depends on the wife".
Although I don't fully understand every detail of a project, and my husband's skills are far superior to mine, I'm right there with him on every project. I've got pictures of me working concrete, using the pneumatic nailer or the compound miter saw. Usually it's faster and easier for him to do stuff himself, so I hand him things, run out to the workshop for something he forgot (or didn't know he needed until he was into it), run to Home Despot for something neither of us could find in the mess that's his shop, etc.
Because I don't understand all the details, I sometimes get a little panicky when things don't look as I expect, but sometimes when I say "Hey, that doesn't look quite right", he says "It isn't. Thanks for pointing that out." More often he says, "It's right; just wait until the next bit is done. Here's how they'll fit together..."
He wants to put in a pulldown attic stair and estimated one hard weekend for the installation and another, easier one for the paint and trim. I said, "Nothing in this house ever goes to plan; let's count on four weekends." If I'm wrong, we get a weekend or two off.
Cindy Hamilton
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

in my house, it's always a factor of 3: cost, time, number of trips to the hardware store, or all of the above.
On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 07:26:15 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

I've been biting my tongue...
Show me a statement like "Wives don't understand..." and I'll show you someone who has a sexist, one-dimensional view of the world. Are there women who don't understand traditional male roles like construction? Sure. Are there men who prolong adolescence well into retirement? Sure. Stereotypes always have at least some small element of truth. But those who focus on the stereotypes miss most of the real world.
In my experience, narrow, uni-dimensional people do not pair up with enlightened, multi-dimensional people. I'm quite sure that men who complain about their airhead wives are more or less equally uni-dimensional at the other end of the spectrum. Conversely, women who complain about their immature husbands, are more ur less equally uni-dimensional at the other end of the spectrum.
These people find each other for a reason. The more enlightened people won't have them.
Heather Mills wrote:

Such statements are not sexist, they are generalizations that are accurate for 90%+ of the population.