windows, stucco and water...

I hope someone can help. I've been looking at the gazillion web pages on installing windows. However, I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

I've got vinyl windows with no brick molding or new construction flange. The windows say "replacement windows", but I'm using them in a new construction.

I want to put pressure treated wood trim on the outside between the stucco and window.

Here's my two questions:

  1. Should the windows go flush with the sheathing or the stucco? I can see that placing the window flush with the sheathing would work well for the top and sides of the window because the trim could overlap the window creating a good water seal, but the bottom edge drain holes would then tend to drain at the intersection of the bottom trim and the sheathing. Would I need to install a sill under the window? Or, if I position the window out from the wall 1/2 inch, the drain holes could drain on to the bottom trim and away from the wall without doing anything special, however I would then have to notch the side and top trim to fit over the window and I'm wondering if this is a 'normal' thing to do?

  1. Should you wrap the rough opening with anything prior to installing the windows? Wrap them with what? Felt paper or house wrap or something else? Some people have told me not to wrap the opening and to only put the barrier on after the windows are in place (on the sheathing plane only). Is that correct? What's the best method?

Thanks, R

Reply to
R&D

I really can't visualize your setup. Guess it would help to know the house construction...stucco over what? block?

Around here (Florida) most homes are block. There are window bucks fastened to the block sides and top of window openings. Those are 3/4 x 3/4 pieces of PT ripped on the diagonal so they are triangular. The windows are set into the openings, screwed to the bucks and caulked. The outside is then stuccoed so the stucco overlaps the window slightly and there is a sloped & shaped, solid concrete sill under the window (it gets stuccoed too). Naturally, the stucco precludes removing the window without first removing the stucco.

The triangular shape of the window buck is so that drywall can slip between the window edge and block sides/top...the triangular shape is so that the back edge of the drywall slides toward the window edge when pushed in. The space between window edge and block is 3/4 which means that 1/2 drywall stands proud of the block which means that no membrane is needed or used. Interior sills are usually cultured "marble" mudded in. Crummy interior finishing method IMO so I tiled.

What's that got to do with your problem? Not much, just started rambling. In your case, i would go where I bought the windows (or check manufacturer's web site) for install info pertinent to the windows and your house construction. Oersonally, I'd avoid the wood trim, PT or not.

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Then take them back and get the proper ones to make your life easier.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran