Leaking Walls/Windows - Stucco

the paint you mention MIGHT help. But it is not going to solve the problem. If your the first owner of the home then contact the building department and have them do an inspection. Sounds like shoddy workmanship to me.

Stucco is not all that porous the way we do it here in AZ. Some mix color in the final coat and never paint their homes. Others paint about every 5 years but not for water proofing needs.

Reply to
SQLit

I have a walk out basement (unfinished) on a 3 year old bungalow located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The north and west walls of the basement are above grade. With the insulation removed, we note water coming down the walls during wind driven rain (typically at junctions in the OSB, or at staple penetrations). The water is more pronounced in areas of the basement below the upstairs windows. However, there are also a few penetrations where there are no light fixtures or windows to blame. The wind was not strong enough to lift rain over the soffits. I know the basement windows are also points of entry, because I did some leak testing with a sprinkler on a basement window, and I had water through the wall (below the window) in under 15 minutes. Basically, what I am saying is that my house appears to have numerous points of entry, and not all of them associated with windows. The stucco appears to be in good condition and there are very few cracks. I suspect there has been poor workmanship with the felt paper installation, primarily around the windows, but I know there are other points of entry as well. To repair properly and restore peace of mind, will likely require the removal of all stucco, and starting over again (I have a lot of windows). As you can imagine, there is a big price tag attached to this work.

I have read that elastomeric paint or acrylic paint can be used to seal stucco. Assuming I do have numerous problems around the windows, what are the chances that paint (with cocking applied externally around the window) can effectively seal out any moisture problems?

I am curious if there is any information on the net regarding solutions to the infamous BC condo problems? I haven't located a lot of information on the repairs done.

Chris

Reply to
C. Bailey

"even the building inspectors in my area say the building code is too lax, and that water will penetrate unless the stucco/builder exceed code"

I disagree that you would need to exceed the code to have stucco be water proof. New home and only one year warranty.. Yikes, they offer 2-3 years here and 20 years on the structure.

Check what your local authorities have to say about the structure issue. You may have an case from that stand point.

Check your contract, where I live undisclosed issues with a home are open season on the old owner. This leaking sounds like something the other owner knew about and hid.

Fix it right and pay freight if you have to.

Reply to
SQLit

Unfortunately, I am not the first owner, and the builder/stucco contractor have already told me to take a hike because they only warranty for a year. My only hope would be to find a code violation. However, even the building inspectors in my area say the building code is too lax, and that water will penetrate unless the stucco/builder exceed code. Thus, I have two choices. Redo the whole house (~$20 k), or try paint.....

Chris

Reply to
C. Bailey