Window well covers

I am posting this for someone else, but I would also be interested in any responses since I will be doing something similar at a property of my own.
He wrote,
"Need some suggestions on how to cover two window wells at sidewalk level to keep rain water out. Windows are below grade and we don't want the wells to fill up. The wells are about 42" wide x 22". They are about 2 feet deep. Cannot pipe wells since no sump system inside.
Solutions we are considering:
1. Clear plastic bubbles - need source for rectangular bubbles. HD does not carry.
2. Plexiglass / Lexan flat cover to let light in. Can clear caulk in place.
3. Wood cover with capping slightly raised above well to let light in.
Anyone, have better idea or know source for this shape bubble?"
Thanks.

Do they have to be removable from the inside for safety exits?? Do they have to be strong enough for people to walk on - since you said they are at sidewalk level, not ground level?

They don't have to be removable because the windows are not egress windows. However, I would want them to be able to be pushed out/open or popped off if needed in an emergency.

No, they don't need to be made to walk on since the well covers will be above the sidewalk level, not flush with the sidewalk.

I've never seen a rectangular window well or a cover for it. If you can't find one that fits, you could dig out the window well and replace it with a typical half round one. That might make it look better too. A cover will go a long way to keeping water out, but whether it works totally to keep it from filling with water depends on other factors too, like grading, runoff from the roof, drainage of the soil there, etc.
RogerT wrote:

Check out:
http://www.maccourt.com/products/windowwells.html
As far as where to buy, you may have to order online or ask a local store for a special order. For example, the Maccourt window well cover 4425R is rectangular 44" x 25" and is available thru Ace Hardware:
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/ProductDetails.aspx?SKUS58825
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/ProductDetails.aspx?SKUS58825

Thanks for the links. I passed them on to my friend and am checking them out for myself.

You owe me $250 for doing your homework, aka "google".
http://www.redi-exit.com/window-well-covers.html
Google revealed a host of other options.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting, and it includes a lot of other information on related items.
Your $250 check is in the mail.
On 9/18/2010 7:40 PM, RogerT wrote:

--
aem sends...

RogerT wrote:

In the past I have used Plexiglas covers on a frame that slightly tilts away from the building to let water drain. You may want to remove them for cleaning at times.
--
LSMFT