Window Replacement

Page 3 of 3
On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 11:47:07 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

That's because you've never had to go out to replace a vinyl window that is all warped and sagged, with blown sealed units from overheating behind a plain glass storm window. It is NOT warranted. And for real good reason. As for not filling the whole hole - a PROPERLY sized replacement window is about 1/2 inch smaller than the rough opening in the studs. That 1/2 inch allows shimming to get it 100% square and the gap is filled with low expansion urethane foam to seal the window into the opening. In some cases a "brick moulding" is used to finish the exterior- in other cases a 1/2" backer rod is stuffed in the crack and a nice neat bead of caulk is applies to finish the job.
On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 11:47:07 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

I don't get what this has to do with it. (and FWIW, I've watched several houses here get replacement windows and here in this group of 109 townhouses built in 1977-79, they fit right in. OT: So easy even someone less skilled than I could do it himself, although maybe they don't charge much either. OR more likely, they charge a high markup on the windows and not much for installation.)
OT: Only took about 20 or 30 minutes a window. Plus 10 or 20 minutes for each to bend aluminmum to make what looks like a window sill outside.

So you're saying they don't weigh down the main window? Since they are not attached to it? But that isn't the complaint. it's the heat that builds up, unrelated to how it's attached. .

I'm sure the VinylRW companies would be happy to make more money selling storm windows too, so if they don't permit it (or cancel the warrantee which is about the same thing) it must be because they learned, years ago, that the heat will ruin the windows. So they would lose more money honoring warrantees than they gain by selling storm windows.

???
Newer windows will _not_ change the climate! Your winter winds will remain the same no matter what type of windows you have.

<yawn> Someone trying real hard to be witty

Not really, you made it easy.

Maybe next, you should try harder. A LOT, LOT harder...
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 16:17:51 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

I don't understand what you mean either. You get drafts inside the house even when the windows are shut? And latched?

When you're exposed to direct wind, which brings with it rain, sleet, snow, ice, etc that particular exposed piece of hardware takes literally an extra hard beating over time. Over time, things do get loose and leaky much quicker on the windward than the leeward side. You can actually see the difference with my current windows. I've already had to re-putty the inside windows on the west side twice since we lived here.
On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 06:08:47 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

Generally vinyl windows do not have that problem. 20 years on mine now and not an issue at all on either north or south facing side. Only one on the east - no problem there either ant it is 5 years older and an inferior unit.

You don't say whether you plan to do the job yourself or hire a contractor. In any case...
Talk to at least three window contractors/suppliers in your area.
Go with the one who leaves you with the most verifiable* confidence, not the one with the lowest price.
*Ask for references.
One thing to consider is whether to install storms or not. Many VRW cannot handle storms due to the heat buildup between the window and the storm, so make sure you ask the right questions and don't just assume that storms will make any window better. You could void your new window warranty by using storms.
In addition, the increase in convenience of eliminating the storms is huge. On days like we are having in my area this time of year, the ability to easily open the windows at night for the cool breeze and then close them in the morning before the heat builds up is one of the biggest advantages we've gained. We used to leave the windows closed for weeks at a time to aviod the hassle of the storms.

$15?! I just paid $65 each (that was the low bid) to have the glass replaced on 20 windows. That was labor only (glass was under warranty).

New windows appear to last about 20 years. I built my house in 1990. Most of my glass has been replaced. Generally one or two at a time as they failed. The south facing ones failed first. My windows came with a lifetime guarrantee. They would come out and measure and a week later come back and install new glass. No cost to me at all. One window under a patio roof and well shaded has not failed yet. I have been very happy with my manufacturer. I hope he doesn't go broke. I plan on owning these windows in 20 years when they get replaced again.
Atila

Protection from what? Cold wind? Rain? Wind blown sand or grit?
I'd imagine that properly installed windows will resist cold and rain well. Vinyl windows won't need to be painted. Shutters, if appropriate might help, too. Have you looked at new construction in your area to see what's being used? Have you spoken with your neighbors? You are much more likely to get good advice locally than from the web.
Dave M.
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 08:44:05 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

Put in top quality vinyl frame windows with Low E squared glass ans argon fill, with "warm spacers". Use new construction windows, not inserts. They will be good for another 60 years.