Window Replacement

That's because you've never had to go out to replace a vinyl window that is all warped and sagged, with blown sealed units from overheating behind a plain glass storm window. It is NOT warranted. And for real good reason. As for not filling the whole hole - a PROPERLY sized replacement window is about 1/2 inch smaller than the rough opening in the studs. That 1/2 inch allows shimming to get it

100% square and the gap is filled with low expansion urethane foam to seal the window into the opening. In some cases a "brick moulding" is used to finish the exterior- in other cases a 1/2" backer rod is stuffed in the crack and a nice neat bead of caulk is applies to finish the job.
Reply to
clare

I don't get what this has to do with it. (and FWIW, I've watched several houses here get replacement windows and here in this group of

109 townhouses built in 1977-79, they fit right in. OT: So easy even someone less skilled than I could do it himself, although maybe they don't charge much either. OR more likely, they charge a high markup on the windows and not much for installation.)

OT: Only took about 20 or 30 minutes a window. Plus 10 or 20 minutes for each to bend aluminmum to make what looks like a window sill outside.

So you're saying they don't weigh down the main window? Since they are not attached to it? But that isn't the complaint. it's the heat that builds up, unrelated to how it's attached. .

I'm sure the VinylRW companies would be happy to make more money selling storm windows too, so if they don't permit it (or cancel the warrantee which is about the same thing) it must be because they learned, years ago, that the heat will ruin the windows. So they would lose more money honoring warrantees than they gain by selling storm windows.

Reply to
micky

I don't see that exemption here unless you started negotiations.

There are several exceptions to the law . There is no three-day right of recision for goods or services purchased for less than $25, or for the purchase of insurance and farm equipment. Other exceptions are real estate purchases of less than $100 made at a place other than the merchant's place of business, a sale involving an attorney or broker, and sales made pursuant to prior negotiations at the merchant's business establishment, where the sale is the result of those negotiations. Finally, the law does not apply to sales conducted entirely by mail or telephone, with no other contact between the buyer and seller.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

krw

If this is true, it's no wonder the divorce rate is so high.

Reply to
krw

That's certainly something that varies by jurisdiction.

Reply to
krw

Certainly, but that doesn't mean that one isn't delegated the responsibility. In the windows we just had replaced, my wife did the whole transaction since it would mean at least two days off work for me (different time zone, even ;-). She chose the person she liked better and did the babysitting.

Reply to
krw

I won't agree or disagree with others whether both should attend or not but in my case, I prefer my wife to attend since she is a CPA. She sorta has my back when it comes to finances tho I can hold my own. Sure helps in tax time tho... she takes about 1/3 the time I would take and she corrects TurboTax on occasion for our situation (not typical and may get worst soon).

Reply to
Doug

Well, I 'm sure I was right. Perhaps the law has been expanded. Since the first law was passed in 1972, that's possible. (I lost several years of my life in a milk-and-cookies-induced stupor.)

He agrees with me on one thing: "Many consumers are under the impression that these laws apply to any and all consumer purchases."

Aha, I see on the right

For a copy of the Chapter 39, Cancellation of Certain Consumer Transactions of Texas Business and Commerce Code: Texas State Law Library Post Office Box 12367 Austin, TX 78711 (512) 463-1722

For information on federal cooling off laws: Consumer Response Center Federal Trade Commission

600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW Washington, DC 20580 877-FTC-HELP (382-4357)

So this pdf file is from the Texas AG about Texas law. Below I'll see if Federal law is different.

I don't see it, so I guess it's not true anymore. Thanks.

Used to be, if you called a carpet, window, or rooft guy to come to your house and give you an estimate (price) and you signed a contract that was an exception to the cooling off law, and you were stuck with the contract. I think you can still waive your cooling off period in the contract you sign. That doesn't seem mentioned in the Texas webpage but it is in the Federal one, which might be echoed in other states.

There are a bunch of interesting urls, but I havent' read t hem and don't know if they are related to this. I only post them because I found them. I accept that you're right, and I continue with my plan never to rely on any 3-day period.

micky

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Absolutely.

Reply to
Han

I wonder if this a regional thing.

As I said in an earlier post, I've never had a contractor request that we both be present.

Roofer, windows, and (separately) doors. In every case I met with them on my own. I don't recall any of them asking for my wife to be present. In fact, there were times when my wife was home and they never asked if she could join us.

Someone asked "Why is it so hard for both to be present?" Often times one's work schedule is more flexible than another's. I can meet with a contractor more easily than my wife can. If she needed to be present then every meeting would have to be in the evening or on a weekend. I'm glad no contractors asked for both of us to be present since that's not how I want to spend my off hours and it would have delayed every project as we tried to fit evening and weekend meetings into our schedule.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well they want you both there to make a decision on the spot from a presentation given by a high pressure commission-only sales person. Simple deal - they want to rip you off.

Check out my video on windows:

wewerbob

Nice vid. I'm looking at doing all the windows in my house this year.

Reply to
Adam Kubias

He was mostly right. "replacement" or "insert" windows are a waste of money. However, his condemnation of vinyl windows is misplaced. GOOD vinyl construction grade windows are every bit as good as the vast majority of wood froamed windows on the market today. Rehau profile "hollow" window framed have steel re-enforcement installed in them for long pieces, and I've seen as many "quality" wood-framed windows with seal problems as good quality vinyl. I've had my Rehau profile vinyl windows for over 18 years and have not had a single seal failure. Friends had wooden windows installed at the same time and have had over half of the seals fail. Another friend's cottage had all wooden windows - double glazed sealed units with a third layer of glass clipped into the frame for triple glazing. Virtually every sealed unit needed replacement when they sold it last summer - and several of the casement sashes were loose and sagging.

That said - I would NEVER install an "insert" - woodframed or vinyl. The difference in material cost is negligible - and I find installing a "rough in" window no more difficult than an i sert - particularly when half the time when you go to replace a window the frame is rotted too.

Reply to
clare