Window repair question

Page 3 of 3

I have a 1994 Subaru with about 147,000 miles on it. The auto trannies are known for lasting about 150,000 miles or so. When it goes, I will replace it. The car was paid for a long time ago and runs just fine. And if the engine goes, I'll fix it or replace it. In the end, I'll get another ten years of life from this car for a fraction of the cost replacing the car. I once made the mistake of trading in my old Datsun as part of the purchase of a brand new Ford Tempo. The Ford went to the junk yard before the Datsun did.
Zootal wrote: ...

Ayup... :)
Many use the excuse of "major" repair to justify the purchase of a new vehicle (shoot, even I have been know to do so when I really wanted a new one all along :) ) but it rarely actually works out on paper in hard cash to be the less expensive choice.
Zootal wrote:

I bought the only lemon ever made by Datsun....everything that could fall off did by the time it was three years old...weather strip, chrome, knobs. Rusted out by the time it was five years old. Sold it and it was still running 10 years later :o)

But it makes no sense to do so for a car that is old, high mileage and driven where the elements take their toll on the body, electrical system, suspension, ad infinitum. Similar to that kind of car, the OP has rotted windows...if he wants to play with tools there is always Habitat for Humanity. They would be glad to see him.
Joe
Joe wrote:

Eventually, but it probably still isn't the best $$ decision--that would be to replace w/ used which to make the analogy would be to visit the Habitat reclaimed store.
As for the OP, there's no indication he has more than one window that needs some significant repair to the frame and some unspecified number of panes of glass and a little effort. And, indeed, window-making is one of the more enjoyable crafts--takes some effort, but w/ a router and a table, today it's well within the reach of the DIY'er and a sure-fire self-satisfaction generator...

And, indeed, window-making is

I would concur. Expanding on comments I made in an earlier post, if the project is for entertainment or skill development, then the rationale of economics must take second place. As for the OP searching for router bits, he should be well plugged in to Magnate.net and MLCS, two of the woodworkers favorites for years. Magnate also has the Legacy woodworking machines for making fancy columnar wood pieces such as are popular in kitchen cabinetry these days.
Joe
Joe wrote: ...

But the economics is still far in favor of the "repair rather than replace" given the price of replacement (even "cheap", not "inexpensive") windows.

I'd not run across magnate, thanks.
Seem to be on order of MLCS and ilk altho I noticed they did list Amana.
Unless it's a one-off job, I'll invest in the Amana, Whiteside, or similar rather than the inexpensive imports that aren't polished as well, therefore not as sharp to begin with and tend to have less and poorer quality carbide. But, always good to have other places to search.

It may be true that the elements take their toll on the various subsystem, thus increasing the risk of future failure. But when does that become grounds to discard it and buy a new/newer one? Where do you draw the line? I can repair it, or I can replace it. I consider the cost of fixing plus risk of future failure, and the cost of replacement and the risk of future failure of the replacement. I consider my time investment versus my available time, add it all up, and choose the one that makes most sense to me.
It makes most sense to me to fix the windows. My time investment is minimal - it's not that difficult to manufacture replacement wood parts. Glass panes are less then $2 each, the cost of wood is about a buck. I already have router, table saws, misc. wood working tools, paint, glaziers compound is cheap, nails and glue I have. I whipped out the bottom wood piece last night in between ping pong games with my daughters. I'll whip out the side pieces tomorrow evening. A bit of glue and a few nails, some glaziers compound, a few panes of glass, a bit of paint, and I have a window that looks great and will last many years. And I can puff out my chest, pat myself on the back, and say I did it myself, didn't take a lot of time, and it cost less then $10. And I'm neither carpenter nor glazier, yet this I can do.
A relative of mine looks at me like I'm nuts. Like some here, he can't understand why I would do this. He would be the first to run down to the local hardware store of his choice and just buy something. Then he would pay someone to install it. Considering he doesn't know one end of a screwdriver from another, for him this is probalby a good choice. I like to make salsa from scratch - an onion, a jalapeno, a few tomatos and tomatillos, cilantro, lime, chop, mix, and you have uber fresh salsa. He looks at me like I'm nuts and asks why I just don't go buy some from the store instead of wasting my time.
What makes no sense to some, makes perfect sense to others :-)

When my engine or transmission fails, I fix it, I don't replace the car. When a tire goes flat, I fix it, I don't replace the tire. When my windows break, I fix them, I don't replace them with a new window unit.
I have a close relative, however, that is the opposite - he doesn't fix anything, he just replaces it. Dirty laundry? Go to the store and buy new underwear. Go figure :