Window AC in a through wall sleeve

For anyone out there with AC installation experience, is it possible to use a window AC unit in a through-wall sleeve? I purchased a through wall unit, but it is smaller than the current one I have in there by about 2 in x 3 in, and I am not sure about the depth.

If I can, what do I need to do do modify the window one.

Thanks.

Reply to
billwertz

I know you can't use a window unitt hrough a sleeve because of grille designs on the side of the unit, thus the sleeve will block the grills, but I don't know about using a wall unit through a window. I can't see why not.

Reply to
Mikepier

You have me very confused.

You bought a "through the wall". I would interpret this as a motel type unit about 3 feet wide by 2 feet tall. It is smaller than what is there now. Motel type units come with their own "sleeve", pull out the old one, use the new one, close the hole around the new sleeve with foam, insulation, trim, whatever.

You ask about a window unit. These units are designed with an indoor and separate outdoor portion. As long as the outdoor portion is outdoors, you can install in any appropriately sized hole. It again comes with it's own "sleeve" , close the hole down to the sleeve.

Reply to
DanG

A window unit has grills on the side of the chassis as well as the rear. If you block the side grills, you will cause the unit to not operate correctly and it will short cycle. I already know this from experience. I tried using a known good working window unit in a wall sleeve, and it never worked right. I ended up getting another wall unit.

Reply to
Mikepier

You cannot do that because of how the window air conditioner vents.

Either do the research and find and buy a direct replacement throught the wall unit, or, replace the old sleeve with a new sleeve designed to fit the new unit. Direct replacement is MUCH easier.

Reply to
Abe

What is the dimensions of the sleeve? Most units like Friedrich or Fedders are manufactured to fit existing sleeves.

Reply to
Mikepier