Windex kills ants but leaves my walls blue (better idea?)

Page 2 of 3

> However, the Argentine ants here in California are omnivorous - they'll eat

Multiple queens......only in california!!
Sorry couldn't resist :)
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:01:37 -0400, Mike Copeland

ROFLAO!

Yeah, the joy of Terro is when the little cattle all circle around the drinking hole en masse.
If you want something absolutely nontoxic, putting pepper (black, white, or cayenne) or cinnamon around their trails will leave them confused, and they will leave. You can then vacuum up the pepper or cinnamon
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 00:57:19 -0700, Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to

As strange as it may be, ants dislike lime and that can be heavily sprinkled around the house foundation. Kids' "sidewalk chalk" can be used to draw lines where you want to discourage ants from crossing. Of course, this is not a good idea if you have acid-loving plants. I use boric acid for both ants and cock roaches--cheap, low toxicity, no smell, and inexpensive. There is a canister of fine blue powder called "Roach Proof" (boric acid) where you can dust the power across thresholds, baseboards, cabinets, etc.
"Phisherman" wrote

For exterior and totally non-toxic, dry grits along the hill will kill the ants and the queen. They try to eat it and cant. Will feed it to the queen too.

Actually grits doesn't harm ants at all:
http://www.pestproducts.com/grits.htm
message

We used the cinnamon idea quite successfully for years of medieval camping (canvas tent, no floor) and it kept out most critters while making the tent smell good. You can use the stuff from the dollar store.
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:55:34 -0700, The Real Bev

I found Terro is very inexpensive. It's really just boric acid and sugar syrup.

I think it must be a little more complicated than that. I tried making my own version of terro with sugar and boric acid and it was not nearly as attractive to the pests.

You're not killing the ants with ammonia. You're drowning them with liquid. A spray bottle of water will have the same effect.

Same way ammonia kills you.

Clean your house. Get rid of any exposed food or put it in sealed containers. Vacuum up crumbs. Take kitchen scraps and plate scrapings straight to the trash barrel outside. The ants are there because there's food. Remove the food, and the ants will not have a reason to be there, and they will go away.
Kill any stragglers with REAL ant killer. RAID.

Yeah, right.

They also go after water and some of them, apparently, just like marching. I can see no other reason they'd come in from behind a faucet, march around the rim of the bathtub, and then leave.

Raid stinks and leaves oily spots. Use Home Defense.
--
Cheers, Bev
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Yep, use an ant bait.
Rod Speed, ye weedy dull earth, I do not like thy look, I promise thee, ye tooted:

Boric Acid is real cheap. Any hardware store will have it.
I had a friend who lived in Hollywood and she had a cochroach problem that was insane. I was afraid to go in her apartment. I bought some boric acid and applied it. A couple of days later she called to tell me the roaches were still there and they seemed to be even bolder. I went over a day or two later and then she told me they were starting to die. What she thought was boldness was actually the roaches walking around dazed and dying. I sat in her apartment and you could hear them falling from the walls and hitting the floor, tic tic tic tic... She was having troubles keeping up with the corpses, she was sweeping up dustpans full.
She was not really a dirty person, she lived in Hollywood.
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:20:48 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You're all a bunch of bloomin idiots!
You can't kill the invincible Argentine ant where I come from here in California with Terro or boric acid or arsenic or anything else.
What brings these ants in and out of your house is the weather.
If you think Terro or boric acid is going to change the weather, then by all means, have a blast. But you're wasting your time and effort.
Says so right here: http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/Pesticides-Wont-Stop-em.htm
The Argentine ant has multiple queens and the workers can go to any nest, so, you can't kill 'em off just by dissolving 1 teaspoon (5 mL) powdered boric acid and 10 teaspoons (50 mL) sugar into 2 cups (500 mL) of water; this mixture can then be absorbed into cotton balls which are left near ant trails.

Slightly soapy water will kill most insects, but even then I would not recommend spraying anything onto a carpet.

Have you tried a product bait that contains boric acid? Ant traps? "Tero" is one such product and it worked well for me.

Can anyone spell TROLL?

RAID?
replying to Susan, Susan wrote:

Vinegar works beautifully to destroy the "scent" or whatever is attracting them at their point of entry, but it won't kill the ants. Put full strength white vinegar in a spray bottle and spray the cracks and scented line they all follow in single file at their point of entry. Then spray the surrounding cracks and areas around it, both inside and out.. They disappear quickly if vinegar is sprayed in this way. So much better than toxic chemicals and cheap. I'm unsure if this works in large populations of ants. Mine have not returned either.