Willow Grove, Pennsylvania

I hate to post this, but hoping someone here, maybe Poppyplank out in Lancaster knows.

I work for one of the largest construction/contractors in the world. I have a desk job, so my hands aren't all beat up, but I have no problem with manual labor. I say this because being an average person makes you a *great* contractor (unfortunately).

I bought a house from some senior citizen that paid almost $9000 to have central air installed. The year was 2000. This is by no means a palace; about 2000 sq. ft and a standard split level. (I think in New England, it's called a bi-level).

Here's the problem: I have a steady drip from the vent closest to the unit stuck in the attic. According to howthingswork.com that's my air handling unit (as the compressor sits outside).

I should have known that an outfit, not praised but scolded in the papers that were transferred during the home-sale process, Action Heating and Air was no-good. But as they put it in, figured I'd start with them first.

They screw up on the service call, they give the Mrs. a hard time, they nearly put a foot thru the ceiling (only a 5' crack), and charge $195 to fix the dripping problem. Of course, the problem is still there, but now instead of the vent where it was easy to catch the drips, it's now all along that crack. Bugger that.

So, I wait for Bozo and his team to arrive the next day, to fix the problem they were already supposed, but probably won't etc. etc.

Here are the questions that I have, that hopefully I can have answered tomorrow, and I'll run them thru the bullshit-o-meter just to see if they are telling me square:

Why do I only have one drain tube, when the contract called for two? ( they are *right* next to each other, so I don't know what engineering marvel that represents)

It' just a gravity system that expels the water - no motors or similar, right?

As they were to "blow" air thru the system to get rid of the clog (still there, not fixed, who knows), how is that possible? Alright that's me, the dumb guy, I guess you either unscrew the PVC or remove the drip pan all-together.

My guess is tomorrow I'll threaten to sue, and then end up having to find another HVAC (with emphasis on AC) guy in the area. These guys screwed up the installation AND the service call. Likely a court will decide in my favor, but - getting them to pay - that's unlikely - right?

Mr. Curious...

Reply to
ng_reader

"ng_reader" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Just wondering, where in Willow Grove do you live? I grew up there, went to Upper Moreland, etc. I haven't been back since early 70's.

407 Inman Terrace.

Brother and Sister still live there.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Solly

I live next to a guy, 80 years he's lived here!!!

It's an odd township, I'm on the Dublin side. But could have been Abington or one other as well.

Was my post odd at all, I've had to have a cocktail to calm down from the days events.

Reply to
ng_reader

ng_reader wrote: ...

I am not sure what you are saying: "I only have one drain tube" .. "they are *right* next to each other"

Likely, but it is possible a small pump is involved.

They may (or may not) have cleaned the drain, but there may have been more gunk in the tray that re-clogged the drain. Of course they should have checked the tray, but it is possible that it was very difficult to see.

The drip pan may be rather difficult to remove.

I would give them the one additional chance. Don't bother threatening, just do it. It has been my experience that getting them to pay is not difficult IF you get a judgment. Have you checked to make sure they are licensed? Be ready to file a report with your local BBB.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

threatening,

No, didn't check. As far as I am concerned, the BBB is a joke. However, I will do my civic duty, and if after today it is not rectified, will file accordingly.

Another poster in the *professional* group suggested 2 drain lines as code, I have a call into local code enforcement to determine that truth.

As for access, it is awful. Perhaps my age and weight gain aren't helping any, but it would be tough for a rhesus monkey to get around in there.

Reply to
ng_reader

Just checked with

Nothing outstanding it told me. I can tell you, from personal experience, that Ben Lomas, the owner, could take some people skills classes.

Reply to
ng_reader

threatening,

That tends to be true. Frankly the system is set up more to protect the business than the consumer, but if enough people reply it can be useful.

I don't know if it is code, but I consider it good practice.

That seems to be standard.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

In these parts, it is code for E-pan(steel with minimum 2 1/2 inch high sides) under coils/air handlers in the attic, along with a main drain (trapped) from the coil drain. The drain from the E-pan empties from the soffett where its readily visible so the 'moaner knows there is a problem....a float switch that breaks the *hot* control wire to the stat is also required in the E-pan.

Reply to
Noon-Air