Willow problem

In our backyard, we have (I believe) a large willow tree. A couple days ago, half of the tree broke off and is laying in the yard. Take a look...

Been doing some research on the net and I see that the previous owners made a big mistake in planting a willow this close to the house. It's about 5-6 feet away from the patio and maybe 20 feet away from the house. This is much too large of a tree to plant in such a small yard and the wide-reaching, shallow roots would have eventually caused problems with the patio and possibly the foundation. Someone is coming this morning to give me an estimate on its removal.

My guess is that it's been cracked for a while based on the weathering near the top of the break and either wind or weight finally took over.

A few questions...

What kind of tree is this? Here is a better look at the branches (where it took out a planter).

It's about 30-40ft tall and grows extremely fast.

What should I replace it with? I'd like to have a tree that will provide decent shade and not grow too large. We have a small suburban backyard and the tree would be planted in a sprinklered lawn. We live in northen California, about 40 miles ENE of San Fran. Very little rain between May-Sept with temps in the mid 70s-80s, couple inches of rain/month between Nov-April with temps in the mid 50s-60s.

Reply to
Pete Nelson

half of the

big mistake

the patio and

problems with

the top of the

decent shade and

planted in a

It is definitely a willow, most likely some form of Salix alba or babylonica. As you note, not a good choice for a small urban garden - grows too big too fast and with a very aggressive root system, particularly where water sources (water mains, irrigation systems, plumbing) is concerned. Also prone to a lot of disease and insect problems and wind damage.

For your climate, a good alternative would be some form of Japanese maple - relatively small, compact trees, provide nice, dappled shade and offer some wonderful foliage color. Not an aggressive root system like many other maples species. Other choices would be a smaller magnolia (deciduous or evergreen), a Western redbud, fern pine (Podocarpus), Japanese snowbell or pretty much any dwarf or semi-dwarf fruit tree, including the ornamental (non-fruiting) ones.

One thing about smaller trees - they tend to grow more slowly than those that put on considerable height. It may take some time for an affordable small tree to develop significant size and provide adequate shade. You can always locate and purchase larger, specimen-sized trees, but be prepared to pay a premium for them - you are paying for the time and trouble the grower invested to get the tree to that size.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam

A long time ago we had a neighbor with a willow that covered his entire backyard. From a distance it looked good, but the huge surface roots made the ground unusable for most activity. He also had sewer problems from the roots.

Drought conditions may limit your choices. But, willows prefer moist soil conditions. You may want to test the pH of your soil--most trees prefer slightly acid soils, others alkaline. Selecting a tree is personal choice--I like ginko trees, in time they can get tall and have a striking yellow leaf color in fall.

Reply to
Phisherman

ago, half of the

made a big mistake

from the patio and

caused problems with

near the top of the

decent shade and

be planted in a

Reply to
gregpresley

decent shade and

planted in a

develop significant

specimen-sized

and trouble the

And yet time passes so quickly. My neighbor bought a slender twig of a pecan tree perhaps 5' tall just a few (well, 5-6) years ago. It's now

20' tall and casting a good amount of dappled shade. As you say, in the (nursery) plant world, time IS money.
Reply to
Frogleg

Just wanted to say thanks for all the excellent input!

Reply to
Pete Nelson

As long as we're doing a "willow" thang...

ARTIST: Gilbert and Sullivan TITLE: Tit-Willow

[From Mikado]

On a tree by a river a little tom-tit Sang "Willow, titwillow, titwillow" And I said to him, "Dicky-bird, why do you sit Singing 'Willow, titwillow, titwillow'" "Is it weakness of intellect, birdie?" I cried "Or a rather tough worm in your little inside" With a shake of his poor little head, he replied "Oh, willow, titwillow, titwillow!"

He slapped at his chest, as he sat on that bough Singing "Willow, titwillow, titwillow" And a cold perspiration bespangled his brow Oh, willow, titwillow, titwillow He sobbed and he sighed, and a gurgle he gave Then he plunged himself into the billowy wave And an echo arose from the suicide's grave "Oh, willow, titwillow, titwillow"

Now I feel just as sure as I'm sure that my name Isn't Willow, titwillow, titwillow That 'twas blighted affection that made him exclaim "Oh, willow, titwillow, titwillow" And if you remain callous and obdurate, I Shall perish as he did, and you will know why Though I probably shall not exclaim as I die "Oh, willow, titwillow, titwillow"

John

Reply to
B & J