problem Willow

This past winter, I removed a problem willow tree that was blowing so badly it threatened my house should it decide to fall. Shortly thereafter, I built a low deck, whose corner covers most of the stump to within about 10 inches of the top of what remains (which was about 18" high). I have removed trees before and stumps have just stayed that way - stumps. Willows, however appear to be a little more resilient than say, cedars or firs.

The willow has continued to grow despite my desire that it not, and I have dozens of new starts from the stump shooting up through and around my new deck. I have tried digging up the portions of the stump that I could reach and severing them from the roots, but that has been ineffective. I keep cutting them down every couple of weeks, but woudl like to find a more permanent solution.

What I need to do is find a way to kill the willow - roots and all.

If anyone is familiar with this problem, or just knows of somethign that will kill a large former tree, I would be very interested in hearing what you have to say.

Thanks

Reply to
Loren

have you tried roundup on the tender new shoots?

Reply to
Don

I have tried roundup, but likely not in the quantities that might be necessary. I will give that a shot.

D>> This past winter, I removed a problem willow tree that was blowing so >> badly

Reply to
Loren

Other than chemicals, the only thing that has worked for me is persistence with pruners. The roots can't survive without photosynthesis, take away the leaves constantly and consistently and the roots will starve to death.

Reply to
Eric in North Texas

I found this:

the stump can be killed as follows: Bore holes at a slanting angle around the top of the stump. The holes should be about one and one-half inches in diameter and from eight to ten inches deep. Fill them with salt peter (nitrate of potash) or a commercial stump-killing product. The material will spread through the stump and prevent sucker growth from appearing. If the stump has green foliage growth on it now, you can apply a Blackberry Vine or Brush Killer to the foliage as a first step. Be sure this material does not touch any desirable vegetation, except the plant suckers you are trying to destroy. Read and follow label instructions.

Reply to
A. Pismo Clam

"A. Pismo Clam"

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Reply to
Willshak

My suggestion is roundup concentrate. Pour it FULL strength on the tree, but before, very very important, is to drill and many deep holes in the stump as you can, and fill the holes with it.

Reply to
Mike

NEVER use a concentrate "full strength". It's a "concentrate" for a reason. It needs to be mixed with water to be safe, and to be effective.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

The bottle of roundup concentrate has instructions for using it full strength.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

I'd try painting it on the new growth full strength..willow's are tuff stuff.

Reply to
Steveo

SOME consumer products have instructions for use at full strength, and in this case roundup does for extremely problem weeds/vegitation. The roundup concentrate that sits in my shop should never be put on at full strength, becasue it would probably burn a hole straight through the earth, and is WAY too concentrated.

Reply to
Mike

Hey.. maybe next thing you know 'up from the ground comes a bubbling crude' just like Jed! Load up the truck and book for Beverly Hills! :)

Reply to
Steveo

Hmmmmm but then the MOE would probably pull up and give me a large fine and take all my oil!

Reply to
Mike

Thanks everyone. I've got some good ideas here and will give them a try. I'll be back if I can't get it to work.

In your vaired experiences, How long does this generally take to kill off the tree?

Reply to
Loren via HomeKB.com

You can get a "speed-bore" bit at HD or Lowe's or any hardware store for

1 1/2". They work great in a 1/2" drill motor. If all you have is a 3/8" variable speed drill motor, begin by using a slower speed, then increase speed as you go deeper.

BTW, since the post has returned an abundance of votes for using RoundUp, why not save yourself a lot of money and use a product called, "Remuda", from Monterey Lawn & Garden. Here in San Diego, RoundUp costs $90 a gallon; Remuda costs $44.

When the patent ran out on Monsanto's formula, Monterey picked up the ball and made the same stuff. Sew the link below:

A. Pismo Clam

Yup. Spending the money on Roundup, because of the name, is foolish anymore. Look on the label for Glyphosate. (Check the strength, though. There are some weaker solutions, which will cost you more in the long run.)

Good advice. =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Same here. Wicked stuff.

Guess I really wanted to say, "Read the entire label, twice.". =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Taliban?

Reply to