Pennsylvania Peanuts

I've purchased a small pack of peanut seeds and am going to attempt to grow them here in northern Pennsylvania (zone 5b). Has anyone here had much success with peanuts in my zone? (I have raised beds that have had numerous years of amendments of compost, WELL-aged cow manure, leaves, etc... so the soil is quite loose and rich).

Craig

>>Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or

convictions. Dag Hammarskjold

Reply to
Craig E

Craig,

I'm a bit North of you, in Southern Ontario but, roughly in the same growing zone. We've grown peanuts several times in past years, simply as a novelty and they did quite well. There is a commercial peanut grower less than an hour's drive from my home and they appear to be thriving.

However, IMO, as a useful crop for the home gardener they're hardly worth the effort. Much simpler and a lot less work to buy them, either raw or roasted at the local bulk food store ;-). Still, the description of your raised beds sounds like the peanuts would love to be there so, go for it! Ross, Ontario, Canada. New AgCanada Zone 5b

43º19' North 80º16' West
Reply to
Ross Reid