will screening work over a wood deck?

In south Florida a lot of people screen in their pool to keep out mosquitoes, "no-see-ums" and other bugs. Most are done over a finished surface like pavers or concrete.

My question is what if it is a wood deck? the deck is raised several feet from natural ground and the wood is untreated and unfinished. The wood planks are pretty nailed together but there are seams between members in various spots. The pool itself is below ground.

I think erecting a screen over it will not keep out all the mosquitoes, since when it rains water seeps below the deck down to the ground. The ground is never exposed to the sun and probably will have puddles of water collect here and there with weeds. Mosquitoes will grown down there and come up through the seams between the deck planks, right?

orangetrader

finished

mosquitoes,

I think you have to screen under the deck as well or you'd be providing quite a feast for the mosquitoes.

Reply to
Al Bundy

On 1/22/2005 11:46 PM US(ET), orangetrader took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Install indoor-outdoor carpeting on the deck.

Reply to
willshak

I suspect you will have to screen under the deck as another poster suggested and you will probably want to caulk the enclosure around the edges too. I have an enclosure in my Florida home that is mounted on pavers and the small gaps between the pavers was letting small bugs and other critters into the pool. After caulking it limited them to what could sneak under the gaps in the bottom of the screen door.I guess I will caulk there too. I would suggest clear caulk since it is hard to see the spots where it might get slopped a bit.....good luck, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac