Wierd stain on new driveway

Page 2 of 3

Prof Wonmug wrote:

Didn't y'know. That's what they invented lawns for.
Bob F wrote:

I've only looked at the first picture so far. Looking at the lower portion of the picture, it looks like the strip along the edge nearest the hedge is of a different color, even where the "stain" isn't present.
What was there before the pavers were installed? Contacted the contractor? County extension service"? Any work done in the area of the stain since the pavers were installed? I would not try any correction or cleaning before finding out what caused the stain.
On Thu, 20 May 2010 12:10:11 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

You have a sharp eye! I hadn't noticed that before.
I just went out to take a look at that area. The pavers that are under the hedge overhang do look cleaner or brighter than those just outside the overhand. Then I looked up at the tree. The tree that I suspect, actually is wider than the stain. It extends several feet toward the bottom of the first photo. But there is another smaller tree of a different species under it. I suspect that the smaller tree prevented some of whatever dropped down from reaching the driveway. You can't see it on this photo, but the stain does seem to extend to thge bottom of the photo.
As you can see, the hedge is not straight. When we put the pavers in, we had to make a decision about that edge. We decided to have a straight edge on the pavers knowing that the hedge would overhang a bit in that area. We planned to cut the hedge back to a straight line, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

It was an asphalt driveway that was at least 40 years old. The pavers are very close to the same footprint as the old driveway.

And ask what?

The pavers have been in about a month. The city has been digging up the street for new utility lines. That started at least a month before the new driveway and is still not done. But I cannot see how that could cause a stain like this that has so many indications of falling from above.

I may not have that luxury. My wife has a big party on Saturday. I will be in hot water if the stain is not gone. I even suggested parking a car in that spot.
Prof Wonmug wrote:

If the contractor has been in business a while, he may have seen the problem before. My county extension service has entomologists on staff - they have answered all the bug questions I have taken to them. Your issue it so peculiar, it is maddening :o) Even if it is bug droppings, it is odd that the breeze didn't carry them into a broader distribution. I'd try laying down white cardboard to see what lands :o) I'm a dedicated detective and hate when I can't figure stuff out :o) Does the neighbor on that side have a sprinkler that could hit the area? Would have to be a mighty dose of rusty water to cause a stain in such a short period of time.

Then you'll get oil stains and it will be YOUR fault ;o) Get a ladder out and have your wife climb up there and see what kind of bugs are in the tree...

Guy... It is tannin from the tree... Your old driveway was bituminous asphalt, not made out of concrete paver blocks...
Tannin stains concrete in just the manner you have described, have you never looked at concrete sidewalks underneath trees, or seen the oak tree acorns in the fall leave such stains after it rains... Paver blocks are very porous, you will find that they will stain very easily from tannins and anything you spill on the paver area which will react with concrete...
So you can either deal with it as a fact of life having the beautiful tree next to the driveway, you can obsessively scrub the pavers with a concoction after a rain event when staining occurs, which will happen more towards the beginning and ending of the growing season OR replace your driveway with an asphalt one...
~~ Evan
Evan wrote:

I think I'd try a sealer before replacing with asphalt. Even if it stains it may come off much easier with a sealant down first. Of course he'd have to seal the entire driveway so if matches.
Prof Wonmug wrote:

It seems very odd that it is in the shape of the tree's shadow. Wonder if pollen could do that? Has the tree been blooming? In Florida, we get so much oak pollen that the yellow powder can be seen on cars and pavement. Have you tried brushing or washing it off?
On Wed, 19 May 2010 12:28:01 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

Yeah, that's what I thought, too.

No blooms. The leaves have been out for weeks. I can't see any pollen.

I tried brushing and sweeping. No effect. It's definitely a stain. I haven't tried washing yet. Not sure what to use.
Prof Wonmug wrote:

Aphid (or other insect) "dew"?

I called an arborist and that's what he said. But all within a few hours? He's coming over to take a look.
Prof Wonmug wrote:

Go out and watch the space below the tree in full sun with a dark background. Sometimes it will look like a fine rain if you have a bad case of aphids. Or, look at the leaves for the bugs.

Unfortunately, it's been cloudly the last couple of days. I did stand under the tree several times. I could not see or feel anything. I also felt as many leaves as I could reach. They were dry (not sticky) and I could not see any insects or sap.
I also called a local arborist. He said that if it was aphids, the stain would be black, not rust colored, and would be caused my mold (I think). He also said it could not happen in one day.
Prof Wonmug wrote:

Well if it looks even remotely like the Blessed Virgin, call your local TV news guy, then get ready to start selling tickets and souvenirs...

You know, I think I do see a face in there. Or it may just be a giant Rorschach test -- but then I thought all of those looked like beavers.
I'm nominating this one for best idea of the week.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Any chance that the rest of the pavers that were not in the shade just dried more thoroughly from the sun and what you are seeing is higher moisture in the ones that were shaded? A paver that feels dry to the touch can still have higher moisture content. And moisture content definitely affects color. Try drying one with a heat gun or hair dryer?
Paul F.

Ny thoughts exactly!!!

Mine too. I redid a little walkway with some square patio block and crushed marble stone. I got rid of the stone and made it all block, I had extra blocks from another location. After a rain half of the block was dark and half was light. I redid the walkway again so when it's somewhere between wet and dry, it looks like a checkerboard. When it's all dry you would never notice a difference in the blocks.
On Wed, 19 May 2010 17:55:32 -0400, Paul Franklin

Well, the pavers have been in for several weeks. We've had rain and hot days during that period. Whether they were wet or dry, they all looked more or less the same. No stains. Two days ago, this stain appeared in one day. It's still there. It does not follow the edges of the pavers. It looks exactly like the shadow of the overhanging tree.
I didn't try the heat gun, because it's not close to an outlet. I'm going to try various cleaners today. If that doesn't work, I'll try the heat gun, but I can't see how that would explain the stain.
Check out the photos I uploaded. (Posted to another reply.)