Wierd stain on new driveway

Or - turn them over.

Reply to
Bob F

Could be some sap type substance from the tree.

Start with something like dish soap and water. I'll tell you, that's a damn nice driveway, I'd be beating my brains out looking for a cure also. Good Luck.

Reply to
Tony

Or..... look the other way.

Reply to
Sanity

Just remove a paver or two, and turn them over, and then see what happens. Spread some clean sand on the pvers in the area anbd see if the sand turns color. OR, just put paper down and see if it collects anything.

Reply to
hrhofmann

:

Guy... It is tannin from the tree... Your old driveway was bituminous asphalt, not made out of concrete paver blocks...

Tannin stains concrete in just the manner you have described, have you never looked at concrete sidewalks underneath trees, or seen the oak tree acorns in the fall leave such stains after it rains... Paver blocks are very porous, you will find that they will stain very easily from tannins and anything you spill on the paver area which will react with concrete...

So you can either deal with it as a fact of life having the beautiful tree next to the driveway, you can obsessively scrub the pavers with a concoction after a rain event when staining occurs, which will happen more towards the beginning and ending of the growing season OR replace your driveway with an asphalt one...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Someone mentioned tannins, which I hadn't heard of.

I tried that with little effect. Since the arborist said it would be mold, I tried a shower mold cleaner (Tilex). Bye bye stain. It was a little work scrubbing, but the stain is completely gone.

Here are a few photos:

Someone asked to see the tree, so here they are:

Thanks. When the boss first suggested pavers, I didn't like them at all. Quite a few houses in this area have driveways that I considered "too busy" (bricks, concrete with brick borders, and pavers). I voted for replacing the asphalt or plain concrete or maybe exposed aggregate. As usual, my vote had little effect and we got pavers.

Now, after a month or so, I'm starting to like them more. I can't say anything, of course, or I'll get "I told you so for years". ;-)

The only drawback until this stain was the unholy racket hard plastic wheels on the garbage bins make when I drag them out to the curb.

Cure found, but I sure hope I don't have to do it very often.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

As others have said, try soap and water first.

If and when this doesn't work, you might want to find some Prosoco SureKlean, it should be available at any brick layer's supply house or a brick sales place should be able to tell you where to get it.

would certainly ask the supplier or contact Prosoco to discuss compatibility. You will probably need to clean an area larger than the stain to keep everything looking right.

The stain looks a bit like someone throwing a 5 gallon bucket of some liquid from the grass side.

Reply to
DanG

I think I'd try a sealer before replacing with asphalt. Even if it stains it may come off much easier with a sealant down first. Of course he'd have to seal the entire driveway so if matches.

Reply to
Tony

Didn't y'know. That's what they invented lawns for.

Reply to
Bob F

Unless they are pavers with only one finished side (chamfered edges), which most decorative pavers have..

Reply to
willshak

PRESSURE WASHER

Reply to
Rudy

Use Mold and Mildew (ZEP ) from Home Depot , or Lowe's .

Reply to
christinedahnke

Col. Edmund Burke posted for all of us...

Yours or your "girlfriends"? You just lick them up anyway.

Reply to
Tekkie®

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com posted for all of us...

Semen?