Wierd stain on new driveway

Page 1 of 3

A few weeks ago, we replaced the 40-year-old asphalt on our driveway with pavers. Yesterday afternoon, when I came home, I noticed a large stain that I am 99% positive was not there when I left in the morning. The pavers are grey. The stain is an orangish-brown (more brown than orange).
The stain is roughly the same shape as the shadow that would be cast by the tree in the neighbor's yard if the sun were directly overhead. The tree looks like a birch or beech tree.
It looks like something is dripping off that tree. Could it be sap? I stood under it and didn't feel anything and I can see anything. The stain is dry, not sticky. It's also very even, like it was painted oon, not speckled, so if it dripped, it was something fine. PLus, I;m pretty sure it happened in just a few hours.
Does anyone have any idea what this could be and, more importantly, how to remove it?
We never saw anything like this on the old asphalt driveway, which was also grey.
I can take a photo if that would help. Is there some good place to upload it?
Some fertilizers contain components that can stain. Have you or your neighbor been spreading fertilizer?
On Wed, 19 May 2010 09:08:34 -0700 (PDT), mike

We have not -- especially not in the exact shape of a tree shadow. I don't know about the neighbor, but they don't have a front lawn, so I doubt it.
By the way, what kind of tree is it? I wonder if the sap has a high tannin content.

Nevermind. I forgot that you already mentioned your guesses on tree species.
On Wed, 19 May 2010 09:10:32 -0700 (PDT), mike

Didn't I say that it looks like a birch or beech?

Yes. See my previous retraction.

did it rain lightly during the day?
Mark

Dang, I forgot to mention the rain. It didn't rain that day, but it did rain a little the night before and some of the previous few days.
I am 99% certain that the stain was not there at about 9:00 am when I went out. I think it happened between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm.
I just went out and took a few photos. The driveway is still in shade, so they aren't that good.
I felt the pavers. They are dry (not sticky). I also felt the tree. It is not sticky and does not appear to be dripping anything.
Puzzle...
Prof Wonmug wrote:

You might call your county extension service if they have horticultural experts...some kind of pollen or insect droppings?

Post them at tinypic.com and provide a link here in the group.
http://tinypic.com/
Where the pavers from the same lot?

Here are 3 photos:
1. http://tinypic.com/r/v78j74/6
This view shows the entire stain. It is rust colored. It looks a bit darker than the photo shows. Viewing the photo from just below horizontal gives a good image.
The shape is about the same as the tree shadow. Notice the clean strip under the hedge. This seems to me to confirm that it came from above.
2. http://tinypic.com/r/i70xlj/6
This is a slightly closer view. The stain area was never "wet".
3. http://tinypic.com/r/21bkaig/6
This is a closeup view. Notice that within the larger stain, there are areas that are less stained. It seems to me that if it rained down from above, it would have stained everywhere about the same.

As far as I know. They arrived on 3-4 pallets and I believe the wrapper had the same lot number.
In any case, they were all the same color when first installed and the stain appeared in one day.
Prof Wonmug wrote:

Noticeing that the stain doesn't occur below the hedge, it is pretty clear that the stain is something dropping from the tree. Aphid dew, other bug waste, or pollen?

That's what I think. A local arborist (by phone) ruled out aphids and he said pollen was unlikely.
At this point, I am more interested in how to remove it.

Excuse me if this was covered, but unless you plan on removing the tree, won't this (tannin?) stain come right back?
On Thu, 20 May 2010 09:12:17 -0700 (PDT), mike

That's a concern, of course. Removing the tree is not an option, but if I can figure out what it is, maybe it can be treated or prevented. Or maybe that will suggest how best to remove it.
It's a beautiful tree. If I have to clean the driveway 1-2/year, I'll live with that.
We've lived here for 20 years and this has never happened before, unless it was not visible on the old asphalt driveway.
Prof Wonmug wrote:

None of the pictures show the tree itself which means can't identify it for certain nor see anything that might be telling about it.

The shape certainly is conclusive it came from the tree; again w/o more details on the source it's not reasonable to expect too much on discerning the actual cause since it's a result not a cause.

See above...

More than likely; unless there is an infestation of something this year which is possible but not terribly likely to have not been at least earlier signs if so--problem generally grow w/ time rather than come in full bloom initially, so to speak.
As for the clean up, pressure wash and what goes away goes away and what doesn't, doesn't. There are surely more significant issues to worry about????
Prof Wonmug wrote:

Could be some sap type substance from the tree.

Start with something like dish soap and water. I'll tell you, that's a damn nice driveway, I'd be beating my brains out looking for a cure also. Good Luck.

Just remove a paver or two, and turn them over, and then see what happens. Spread some clean sand on the pvers in the area anbd see if the sand turns color. OR, just put paper down and see if it collects anything.

Someone mentioned tannins, which I hadn't heard of.

I tried that with little effect. Since the arborist said it would be mold, I tried a shower mold cleaner (Tilex). Bye bye stain. It was a little work scrubbing, but the stain is completely gone.
Here are a few photos:
http://tinypic.com/r/fogldw/6
http://tinypic.com/r/33arwb7/6
http://tinypic.com/r/30w15yd/6
Someone asked to see the tree, so here they are:
http://tinypic.com/r/v5g277/6
http://tinypic.com/r/2vbrdkp/6
http://tinypic.com/r/2cyjqxv/6

Thanks. When the boss first suggested pavers, I didn't like them at all. Quite a few houses in this area have driveways that I considered "too busy" (bricks, concrete with brick borders, and pavers). I voted for replacing the asphalt or plain concrete or maybe exposed aggregate. As usual, my vote had little effect and we got pavers.
Now, after a month or so, I'm starting to like them more. I can't say anything, of course, or I'll get "I told you so for years". ;-)
The only drawback until this stain was the unholy racket hard plastic wheels on the garbage bins make when I drag them out to the curb.

Cure found, but I sure hope I don't have to do it very often.
Anyway, thanks to everyone for the suggestions.