Why would anyone C clamp open all the fireplace flues?

Page 4 of 4
mike wrote:

I had not thought of that! :)

Pfui. The pilot does NOT produce anywhere nearly enough carbon monoxide to present any kind of problem. There is NO need to vent a pilot light.
Doug Miller wrote:

I'm in agreement. You don't vent the Menora.
But why then does California code require disabling the damper when wood fireplaces are retrofitted to gas?

Beats me. Why does California do 90% of the goofy stuff it does?
On Tuesday, December 25, 2012 2:22:00 PM UTC-8, Jim wrote:

The reason the clamps are there is due to the fact that somebody could star t a fire with a ceramic firelog set in there, and the gas(es) would cause c arbon monoxide poisoning. The are code now in many places for that reason. If you are not using a gas fire, you would know that the flue was closed du e to the smoke.........So, how you use the fireplace determines the actual need.