Why Linux Sucks. From A Layperson.

Nope. You are a troll. Thanks for playing. :)

Reply to
Bruce Sinclair

I'm an ordinary Jack and my opinion is that Linux sucks. Why? Too many different Linux(s). Example: I subscribe to a provider that offers free VPN services so as to limit the data sent to NSA. Not perfect but better than nothing at all.

Under Windows? Download the program, click on a map of the world and you are there.

Linux?

You have to enter 10 different commands, go to places that don't exist on your distribution and basically figure out for yourself how to set things up.

It's a total mess and I've never got it working. I'm sure it might work with Ubuntu but I use LinuxMint and it fails.

Too many different distributions of Linux.

Source code? Who gives a f*ck? Maybe Bank Of Scotland writing their own code and programs but me as Jack desktop? I don't care. Neither do most people using Linux. Theoretically Linux wins this battle but in practice who really cares? If there is a feature I would like I email the company who wrote the particular program. If they like my idea, maybe it will become reality. If not, it won't. As a non-programmer, having the source doesn't change that FOR ME.

Linux applications suck. They do. Live with it.

I plug my Samsung Galaxy S6 in and I get some cryptic dialog box asking me to mount things. Huh?

Plugging my Gen5 iPod Classic in does nothing.

Both under Windows work fine. And if I choose I can manage the file system manually but why on earth would I want to do that? So Windows gives me options and Linux does not.

Hardware. My printer (Brother) took 1/2 a day to install under Linux. With Windows 8.1 I did nothing other than plug it in. Oh, and with Linux I can't select ink saver or other features.

It just goes on and on.

Personally I would love to see Linux offer some decent competition to Windows but I simply can't see it ever happening. And if reading the messages that have been xposted to alt.home.repair is any indication of a Linux coupe in the near future, you boys are dead before you even start.

My conclusion is Linux is a system that should be avoided for all but the most hardcore of computer users. It's kind of like building your own airplane.

Reply to
Scurvy McRicketts

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 19:56:07 -0400, Scurvy McRicketts Gave us:

Keep telling yourself that. Maybe one day you will actually believe your own bullshit.

Nice try re-spin retard. You are not fooling anyone, dumbshit.

Teacher my ass. You are a bigger sucker than Stanley Tweedle.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

So? Will this work for Windows XP, 7, Vista and Windows 8? Are you sure it will?

A kernel developed by Linus Torvalds.

Did you contact your provider? If not, what are you waiting for?

I find that difficult to believe seeing as Linuxmint is a fork of Ubuntu and most of the basics are exactly the same.

No. Too many people willing to do the research.

Newegg offers probably at least 100 different power supplies for home built systems. You need to do the research to pick the one that is best for your needs.

Big companies do, but I do see your point. For the typical end user it's not a deal maker/breaker.

As for big companies, something like the NASDAQ which runs Linux is certainly interested in source code. It's not like they are taking an application out of the RPM database and using it as is.

You might not but that doesn't mean BOS doesn't care.

Probably true but that doesn't minimize the point.

A lot of people in companies who have programming staff who tweak these applications to suit their needs.

PIXAR and Disney are two that come to mind.

That's a fair statement but one can also cite that if you get turned down in the closed software world that's the end of the line. At least in the open software world you can dig further to present your case.

Some do. Some don't. Like all software.

If Linux doesn't work for you, use something else. Simple.

Reply to
Kent Dorfman

I agree completely. If you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch. Of course, your skills won't be worth much as the 21st century progresses.

Reply to
rbowman

That's not even slightly surprising. For my illuminated keyboard to function under Linux, I would need to use a series of CLI commands to do something Windows does automatically. Switching from the Intel HD GPU to the GeForce 970M on Linux? Impossible. You can only switch from within Windows.

Agreed.

It's good if you're wondering how a program works. Otherwise, it's quite useless.

That's what most people do and frankly it allows you to create a sort of bond with the application creator. If you've paid for the software, they appreciate your business and tend to provide you with decent customer service if you're looking for help and appreciation if you're suggesting a decent feature. Linux developers are generally available to communicate with on IRC, but most of the time they're bitter pricks like Peter der Klöwn who'll treat you like shit no matter how nice you are to them.

Not _one_ decent music management program exists in Linux. Not _one_ . Amarok comes close, but it has the worst interface I've ever seen and therefore shouldn't be used.

My Windows Phone works beautifully in Windows as expected, as did my Blackberry and my iPhone. Not one phone refused to work. In Linux, the Blackberry would only work if you mounted is as a USB drive. Otherwise, none of its features were enabled.

Generally, Linux will support your printer just by plugging it in. Of course, it doesn't support every model. Windows generally won't support it out of the box, but you know that drivers are most likely available. It also allows you to use _all_ of its features whereas Linux will usually only allow you to print.

Agreed.

Reply to
Slimer

The only thing "big" about the stinkbombs who use Linux are their bellies. They _are_ dogs though, and smell much like them.

Reply to
Slimer

I could not agree more. Why, then, don't you just vanish and go play with your computer toy? We would /ALL/ be much better off for it.

Cybe R. Wizard

Reply to
Cybe R. Wizard

+1 If he can't keep up when will he find the time to catch up?

Cybe R. Wizard

Reply to
Cybe R. Wizard

That is if we make it through this century of course. Things aren't looking very promising econmically wise.

Reply to
GreyCloud