Why do you pay for a telephone?

Page 2 of 3
on 7/29/2009 12:51 PM (ET) Marina wrote the following:

are no bars a lot of the time, and I have the provider whose ads ask "Can you hear me now?" My answer is no..
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

It's not. I cancelled my landline that cost me $45/month for a prepaid cell that costs me $100/year.

Hopefully the cell phone will work if calling the fire department or paramedics. Is there a cell-phone contract for $100/year? My land line is about $210 a year, but my AT&T phone/answering machine always works, works well, and doesn't lose power. I doubt a Tracfone is as reliable with the quality of a corded land line phone, plus you can lose a cell phone. With electronics you get lower quality and pay more for portability.
PV wrote:

Perhaps, but not by much. You can now get unlimited minutes and texts for $22.50. My landline is $17/month.
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:56:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@tinjowl.com wrote:

A good way to keep bill collectors from calling is to pay your bills.
On Jul 28, 1:56pm, snipped-for-privacy@tinjowl.com wrote:

Perhaps if you didn't have so many outstanding bills life might be a little rosier. You might want to track some of those issues a little closer to home.
Have a nice day.
smells like a troll, but I'll bite.
pay your bills and you won't get collection calls and collection letters.
oh, and say no to telemarketers and advertisers. You'll probably have less bills to pay if you go this route.

That won't stop them and the politicians and nonprofits have a loophole. I was getting 5-6 calls/day from politicans using autodialers during last election.
The final straw for me was an autodialer with an announcement that I shouldn't litter. They were using the loophole to collect phone numbers.
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:56:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@tinjowl.com wrote:

For me it is simple. I have not been able to use Telepathy. Now an then I call Mom on the phone. She says, "your ears must have been ringing. I was just talking about you!"

<snip> I pay because I despise cell phone conversations where you're talking past each other every other sentence. It might be a good idea to take on a WW II walkie-talkie courtesy of saying a "done-with-that-sentence", like, "over". I'm getting too old when I can get PO'ed about something that I don't use five times a week.

I don't have bill collectors calling me. I buy what I can afford with cash. What ever happened to saving for what you want? I wonder how many Americans have a savings account. I do need a land line for DSL though, it helps me spew my BS.

Ever had a friend, nathan?
snipped-for-privacy@tinjowl.com wrote:

I'll never have a land line again.
snipped-for-privacy@tinjowl.com wrote:

Then don't own one if it so bad.
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:56:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@tinjowl.com wrote:

How do you call an ambulance, police, or fire department when you need it? My land phone is $18+tax/mo. and I dislike phones. I keep the ringer turned off and it is hooked up to an answering machine. No sales calls, no political surveys, and no donation requests. I use a fictious name for my phonebook listing, so I can identify trash callers and postal items immediately. I shred my mail before it goes to the compost pile. Be careful what (information) you throw away.
snipped-for-privacy@tinjowl.com wrote:

list.
[snip]

While ignoring the many people who have a problem with that?

And ignore the large number or annoying callers who ignore the Do Not Call list.
on 7/28/2009 4:56 PM (ET) snipped-for-privacy@tinjowl.com wrote the following:

There are too many people that have my land line telephone number, going back to 1984. I don't look forward to calling hundreds of people and businesses to change the number. Right now, I am contemplating switching my land line and phone number to my cable company, TWC. I already have the cable TV and internet with them and they have a package deal for all 3 services.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Google has a new service called "Google Voice". It's free.
You sign up and get a telephone number. Then you specify OTHER numbers that you want referenced.
When someone calls your GoogleVoice number, the call is transfered to the OTHER number(s) you've specified. For example, if someone calls your GV number, your cell, land-line, office, and car phone can all ring simultaneously (or in sequence, I forget).
The thing has other options, too. Like recording the conversation, voicemail transcripts, direct the call based on the caller, etc.
Here's the skinny: http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html
on 7/29/2009 2:50 PM (ET) HeyBub wrote the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY