Why do you pay for a telephone?

Page 1 of 3
I have never understood why people pay for telephone service. All you do is pay a large monthly bill so debt collectors can call and annoy you by asking for money, and others to call and sell you stuff you dont need and get you more in debt. Paying for a phone is like handing someone a gun when they want to kill you. Unless your life is so meaningless and shallow that you enjoy being called by bill collectors and telemarketers, or you get a thrill out of your motherinlaw calling to bitch, why are you paying for phone service? And you know you can call 911 from any cellphone without service, so dont say you need a phone for emergencies. Phones are one of the biggest wastes of money in any home. Rather than pay a phone bill, pay off your other bills and the bill collectors wont keep harassing you by mail after you disconnect your phone. And for the mailbox, well, that's another useless device in every home. Just another means for bill collectors and advertisers to harass you. The only good thingt is that there is no cost to own a mailbox (not yet anyway), and the contents of the mailbox can be tossed in the garbage without annoying you.
snipped-for-privacy@tinjowl.com wrote:

Ummmm, perhaps so a potential employer can call, so the kids can call home and ask for a ride or to keep in touch with friends and family.
And a land line is still cheaper than a cell phone.
--
PV

PV wrote:

Not my experience at all.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

A few other advantages.
1. Since it has it's own power supply, it is also less likely to get knocked out.
I knew lots of people with only cell phones that had no service for 4 days during Hurricane Ike. (I let them use my land line for $2.00 a minute. :-)
2. Reception is always consistently good.
3. Doesn't need $30 batteries.
Andy

Yes here in North America it is generally true that one does not pay for each local land line call; whereas in some countries one pays for each call or each minute of time spent when one initiates the phone call, local or otherwise! With cell phones many plans are structured so that one is charged for air time, or an air time amount is structured into the basic charge or 'package'. Also land-line phones are generally more reliable and do not to the same extent depend on either their own batteries or the power at cell phone sites/towers or on the local cable system for power to their nodes. An extended power failure of a couple of days could and sometimes does play havoc with cell phone services. There are of course advantages to cell phones. Often not listed in phone book! Supposed to work almost anywhere (not true in certain areas!) can be installed much more quickly than where cables, poles etc. throughout towns, cities and the countryside are required. Because of the investment in an excellent North American system installed during the 1950s through 1990s etc. North America prospered during that period while other countries and parts of the world had generally poorer communications. But if a country was starting today to install a 'good' telephone/ communication service a choice of only cell phone service might be a good alternative? And a land-line is more limited in regard to the extra services (texting, video, internet etc.) it can provide. Just a few thoughts. BTW have at least one land-line phone in the home that does not need batteries or electricity to operate! We had a power outage which was restored fairly quickly as is usually the case, by the excellent work crews of our local power utility. The following day neighbour complained "Her phone was still not working". Her el-cheapo cordless handsets had not reset or recharged or something!
stan wrote:

That's exactly what happened in Poland a few years ago - after the collapse of the Communist system.
Various companies were called in to bid on upgrading the national system to electronic switching and all the rest. Everybody said the system was so decrepit it couldn't be fixed.
They junked the entire national telephone system and went entirely cellular.

I guess you have no friends or family that are willing to talk to you.

Ah, this is you making friends everywhere you go.

And you're not annoying everyone around you when you're talking on them like those people on cell phones.
Cheri

They have cell phone blockers for a pretty reasonable price. They are mighty tempting. :-)
Andy
WhiteTea77581 wrote:
message

They're actually illegal in The U.S. but guess who buys most of the things? Yep, The U.S. government. Dey got guns an dey kan doo wut dey wants.
http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/reviews/celljammers/index.shtml
TDD

Apparently that isn't a problem for movie theaters who have been using them for years.
I am hoping to see legislation banning cell phone use in cars as studies have shown that "cell phone using drivers" are more impaired than drunk drivers.
Andy
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 04:29:38 -0700 (PDT), WhiteTea77581

message
Name one.
AZ Nomad wrote:

message
He is confusing 'jammer' with the perfectly legal passive shielding some public spaces like theaters and restaurants are installing when redecorating. Metal mesh under the wallpaper, and metallic film on the windows. Makes the place into a Faraday cage.
-- aem sends...

message
I doubt they do that either. I've flip my phone's ringer off instead of shutting it off and I've yet to see any theater where cell phone coverage vanished inside although I've obviously only been in a few locales.
:
:> And a land line is still cheaper than a cell phone.:> :> :> -- :> PV
: And you're not annoying everyone around you when you're talking on them like : those people on cell phones.
And you don't lose service in various spots around town. And the audio quality is much, much better.
    -- Andy Barss
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 05:49:35 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss

And you don't have service at all except exactly one location.
I keep my home line so that businesses don't bother me on the cellphone -- its the number printed on my checks and used for all business contacts.
I now use VOIP so it's $5/month plus a penny a minute in either direction anywhere in the US, going to asterisk PBX software which I have set up for the sole purpose of eliminating all calls lacking a human at the originating end from making my phones ring.
And with VOIP, it's far less reliable than my cell phone. Power and internet must be up and it doesn't do 911.
AZ Nomad wrote:

I also have a SIP trunk on asterisk for similar reasons.

What lots of folks don't realize because they have no reason to know is how crappy most wireless providers are as far as redundancy and backup power. Typically they just have a small amount of battery that will keep the site up for a short time. Only one carrier I know of is really anal about having large amounts of battery and also generators on almost everything.

Perhaps where you live, but for me my cell is the same or better.