Why did the professional camera reviewers totally miss a serious flaw in the camera?

Page 5 of 5
Jeanette Guire wrote:

Most likely all three, but also because they just don't use the cameras long enough to notice such potential weak points.
Ron Hunter wrote:

Yeah! I think in future reviewers should use the camera extensively for around 3 years before writing a review. By that time the camera will have been replaced about 5 times with newer models, so it won't matter if the battery door fails. You can sell it on E-Bay with an elastic band round it, pointing out that this is a design feature.
Dennis.
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 08:22:27 GMT, "Dennis Pogson"

I broke the one on my 990 by dropping it down the stairs. Maybe they should do that as well.

1. Depending on the venue (magazine, not-for-profit web site, etc.), if Nikon or one of their distributors advertises in/on their venue editorial policy may dictate that reviewer must not bring out negative traits of the product (for fear of losing advert revenue).
2. Having the camera in hand for such a short period of time (hours? days?) it's simply not possible to "road test" it to the extent that the normal owner may eventually do so.
Good luck on the next one.