Why did the professional camera reviewers totally miss a serious flaw in the camera?

and........ proceeding to the next paragraph........

:quoting from the same place you did:

The name "duct tape" came from its use on heating and air conditioning ducts,

end quote.....

Reply to
Steve Barker

It is simply because the crap they sell at Wal-Mart is not GI grade (AKA 100 MPH duct tape). I had some I used on dive gear that held up for many years and regularly used under water. You can still buy it at some military type stores but it costs over $10 a roll.

Reply to
gfretwell

It just is not approved by the testing labs that set HVAC standards and will not meet code anywhere.

Reply to
gfretwell

That's all pretty brilliant, but all of that has been covered in the thread. Does no one read prior to posting anymore?

Reply to
John McWilliams

The edges of flat roofs, the edges of walls between abutting buildings (to prevent ingress of moisture between them) and around openings in roofs (such as hatches, chimneys and skylights).

Reply to
dj_nme

SIGH. It was named DUCK tape by GIs who used it to waterproof shipping containers, because 'Water flows off it, like water off a duck's back'.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ex-urban legend. Plus this was already covered, ad naseum.

Reply to
John McWilliams

Duct tape fans unite!

Frank ess

DUCT tape is made of METAL!

Reply to
Noozer

The original product was called 'Duct tape', and while it was great for many uses, with a metalized cloth backing, and a rather thick adhesive, it was tested on actual ductwork, and found severely lacking for this use because the adhesive becomes hard when exposed to heat, and the tape turns loose. However, it has MANY other great uses, and the astronauts on Apollo 13 wouldn't have survived had they not had it along. It can be a valuable asset around the house, as long as you don't try to use it on heating ducts.

The product known as 'Duck tape' is simply a cheap knock-off of the original product, and is, in my experience, vastly inferior.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

An aluminum metal tape is also used to seal the seams between the metal-backed foam insulation on homes. The adhesive is permanent, and the tape is pretty expensive as such things go, but it keeps out the wind (and water) well.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Just how do you regard having your duct joints fall apart as desirable? Seems to be a bit of a disaster to me.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Ironically, NOT for ducts. I suspect some fly-by-night heating and air conditioning people used it, and it took that name, but it has been shown to be a very ineffective tape for that application.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Original duct tape didn't have the same adhesive as the current product, and its many imitators.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Also possibly because it was made of cotton duck cloth.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

The biggest failure is drying out.

greg

According to :

While perhaps not _quite_ Mil-Spec, you can get a very close equivalent at other places. Lee Valley carries it for example.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Because just like a lot of stuff there is a quality version and a cheepo version designed to be sold in big box stores.

If you go to a real supply house you can buy quality duct tape.

Reply to
George

I'm not sure who you were asking, but the tape does not and can not be what holds the ducts together. It is merely for sealing the joint for anal types. Most ducts don't have tape on them.

Steve Barker

If ducts are made properly, they should be locked together by a folded seam by which the ends of the ducts slide together and an edge is then folded over to lock it all together. Look up "pittsburgh seam" or "pittsburgh seaming" and "ducting" on Google.

Reply to
dj_nme